Burning Off" 200 Cal: How High Must Student Climb?

• Thread starter holoforce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the question asks how high a 100-kg student would have to climb to burn off a 200-Calorie doughnut, using the equation W = Fd. The attempt at a solution calculates the distance using the given values, resulting in 87.99m. However, the correct answer is 854m, assuming 100% efficiency in converting food energy to mechanical energy.
holoforce

Homework Statement

A 100-kg student eats a 200-Calorie doughnut. To "burn it off", he decides to climb the steps of a tall building. How high (in m) would he have to climb to expend an equivalent amount of work? (1 food Calorie = 103 calories.)

Homework Equations

W = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

d = W/F
= (200 x 103 cal)(4.186 J/cal) / (100kg)(9.8m/s2)
= 87.99m

The solution says its 854m which doesn't make sense to me at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go with your answer. Running almost a kilometer just burn off 1 donut seems weird.

In fact one food calorie = 10^3 =1000 calories, not 103 calories. The 854m is the correct answer. Of course, this assumes that your body is 100% efficient at turning food energy into mechanical energy, which it isn't, but that is probably what you are supposed to assume for this problem.

1. How do I calculate the number of calories burned when climbing?

The number of calories burned while climbing depends on various factors, including your weight, the intensity of your climb, and the duration of your climb. You can use a calorie calculator or fitness tracker to get an estimate of the number of calories you burned during your climb.

2. Is climbing an effective way to burn 200 calories?

Yes, climbing can be an effective way to burn 200 calories. The exact number of calories burned will vary depending on the factors mentioned above, but on average, a person can burn about 200 calories by climbing for 30 minutes at a moderate intensity.

3. How high do I need to climb to burn 200 calories?

The height you need to climb to burn 200 calories will depend on your weight and the intensity of your climb. A person who weighs 150 pounds can burn approximately 200 calories by climbing 600-700 stairs or 2-3 flights of stairs. However, this number can vary based on individual factors.

4. Can I burn 200 calories by climbing stairs instead of using a machine?

Yes, you can burn 200 calories by climbing stairs instead of using a machine. In fact, climbing stairs can be a more effective way to burn calories as it engages more muscles and requires more effort. Plus, it is a functional movement that can improve your overall fitness and endurance.

5. How often should I climb to burn 200 calories?

The frequency of your climbing sessions will depend on your fitness goals and overall level of physical activity. If your goal is to burn 200 calories per day, you may need to climb for 30 minutes at a moderate intensity every day. However, if you are already active and just looking to incorporate climbing into your routine, 2-3 climbing sessions per week may be enough to burn 200 calories each time.