News Bush Launches Last Minute Deregulation Push

Bush launches last-minute deregulation push

The White House is working to enact a wide array of federal regulations, many of which would weaken government rules aimed at protecting consumers and the environment, before President Bush leaves office in January.

The new rules would be among the most controversial deregulatory steps of the Bush era and could be difficult for his successor to undo. Some would ease or lift constraints on private industry, including power plants, mines and farms.

Those and other regulations would help clear obstacles to some commercial ocean-fishing activities, ease controls on emissions of pollutants that contribute to global warming, relax drinking-water standards and lift a key restriction on mountaintop coal mining. Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27466701/
The article is now unavailable at MSNBC, and I couldn't find it at the Washington Post. Any confirmation on this?

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
The article is now unavailable at MSNBC, and I couldn't find it at the Washington Post. Any confirmation on this?
There are 1000's of references to this. But all that I checked go back to the same link that has been removed. Hence, I would be careful in spreading this around since MSNBC has removed the link, there may be something less than newsworthy in this. (EDIT: I see now your link to Reuters, but I'm not sure yet why MSNBC dropped it. And Reuters may yet be based on it.)

Certainly there are germs of truth in what Clinton did in departing days and Bush quickly undid. I would expect the same kind of thing will happen this time as well if the Democrats should win. The party in power will likely always try to slip stuff in at the last minute.

In fact it is the stuff of which our Judicial process has defined itself.

Specifically in Madison v. Marbury it was exactly this kind of transitional action that precipitated the recognition of the Supreme Court's charter for judicial review.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbury_v._Madison