Bush's War against Civil Liberties

• News
  • Thread starter pelastration
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Civil
In summary: Nov. 2.In summary, the Homeland Security Department is considering postponing the election in the event of a terrorist attack. The Department of Justice is reviewing a letter from the chairman of the US Election Assistance Commission requesting that emergency powers be granted to the commission.
Bush propaganda machine would try to monopolize the media and point to failed security of CIA & al. and would ask more powers. Probably Bush will be (s)elected again.

Again, if Bush is naturally going to label any attack as pointing to Al Quada, then he would not want to postpone elections, for this would give time to the media and government to identify the real culprits.

There is a huge inconsistency here. If an Al Quada attack is going to help me win an election, the last thing I want to do is postpone elections if an attack occurs. I want to label the culprits as Middle East terrorists and ride the surge in popularity as quickly as possible.

Or so the argument would go.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnDubYa said:
Again, if Bush is naturally going to label any attack as pointing to Al Quada, then he would not want to postpone elections, for this would give time to the media and government to identify the real culprits.

There is a huge inconsistency here. If an Al Quada attack is going to help me win an election, the last thing I want to do is postpone elections if an attack occurs. I want to label the culprits as Middle East terrorists and ride the surge in popularity as quickly as possible.
Yes, I agree it would be a question of timing relative to the type of event and magnitude. If it would be X then Bush react direct, if Y it would be another way. I am sure the 'thinktanks' have all scenarios.

Yes, I agree it would be a question of timing relative to the type of event and magnitude. If it would be X then Bush react direct, if Y it would be another way. I am sure the 'thinktanks' have all scenarios.

Every time I point out an inconsistency, the target changes.

Here is what you posted earlier:

OK. A cynical question. Sorry for that but I consider politics today that way. Who would profit (election-wise) from a terrorist attack? Bush or Kerry?

IMO Bush. He would be again "the President", "the Leader", "the Chief-in-Command".

I don't see anything in there about think tanks and timing.

And no one seems to have acknowledged the inconsistency I pointed out in my earlier post:

But terrorists don't have to stop the election process, only influence it. If they could pull off a terrorist strike near election day, they could cause Bush to lose support and the Presidency. Would this not influence our elections?

So how 'bout it?

Last edited:
JohnDubYa said:
Every time I point out an inconsistency, the target changes.
I don't see anything in there about think tanks and timing.
And no one seems to have acknowledged the inconsistency I pointed out in my earlier post
The target stays but I just add some aspects.
Bush is surrounded by thinktanks (such as PNAC). Kerry too.

Bush has interest to have a juridical framework for the possible event of an attack. If such attack happens he can decide what happens: Postpone elections or not. What he will do will depend from the facts (size, place, victims, etc.) and what will be in his advantage.

So I am not sure at all that an attack would harm Bush.
He can use many simplistic arguments.

There is no inconsistency in this logic.

Oh, aspects. Okay, fine.

Now how about answering to the following inconsistency?

But terrorists don't have to stop the election process, only influence it. If they could pull off a terrorist strike near election day, they could cause Bush to lose support and the Presidency. Could this not influence the outcome of our elections? Does this not give terrorists power? And if so, what do you propose we do about it?

I propose we ignore the terrorists, leaving their act limp and meaningless, and vote for whoever we were going to vote for anyway.

I propose we ignore the terrorists, leaving their act limp and meaningless, and vote for whoever we were going to vote for anyway.

Good plan, if you can get everyone on board. You have four months. :)

The reasons for rewriting the laws is a moot point. Surely the important thing is that the Bush administration is redefining what it means to be free in the US. I certainly hope you guys don't have any further catastrophies - we are told over here that an attack on the UK is inevitable - but I think that what is happening to your constitution is quite alarming enough.

I heard right wing crackpots arguing when Clinton re-structured FEMA that he was setting himself up to sieze dictatorial power. I didn't buy that either.