Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C or FORTRAN compiler for Vista?

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    Can anyone help me find a compiler/IDE for FORTRAN or C that can work with Windows Vista? I am a physics student and would like to learn some programing, but my computer runs Vista and I have yet to find a compiler that works.

Otherwise, are there any recommendations for a language I could learn that might be useful to me and that I won't run into such problems with on Vista?

(Please, please resist the impulse to tell me to can Vista and get XP... really...)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

No problem... just can Vista and get Linux instead. :biggrin: Or Mac OS X. :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3

Borek

You know the solution and you are still asking question? Geez...

That being said, look for Visual Studio and Visual C++. No idea about exact licences available at the moment, but there were free academic or entry level versions available few years ago and the current version (whichever it is) has a three month free trial.

5. Sep 4, 2008 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or download Cygwin, which runs fine on Vista, and use the freeware GNU compiler collection, which includes C/C++ and FORTRAN.

- Warren

6. Sep 4, 2008 #5
    Yes yes yes, I know I know... if I could keep one of you guru's in my back pocket to help with such things (or maybe talk me out of buying a computer loaded with Vista in the first place), or maybe had more time and money to deal with it myself, I'd be in a different spot. In the meantime I have to use what I've got.

That being said, I have tried Visual Studio/Visual C++ with no luck (trying to compile in C, that is). I've also tried EclipseC and Bloodshed. I will try Cygwin next.

Thanks all.

7. Sep 4, 2008 #6
    Cygwin + JGrasp if you don't feel like learning command-line stuff.

8. Sep 4, 2008 #7

Borek

You mean some specific C code, or just any C programs?

9. Sep 4, 2008 #8
    http://www.silverfrost.com/11/ftn95/overview.asp

From this link you can dowoload Fortran 95 compiler that works fine on Vista, in addition to plato 3 which is in integrated developement environment.
    As far as I know, the personal edition for free but it is not supposed to be used for research purposes.

10. Sep 5, 2008 #9
    No, just any C programs. Took a class in C last spring and this was a big problem. I had to run Eclipse and store my workspace on a flash drive instead of using my own computer.

Just downloaded the FTN95 compiler with Plato 3 that Useful Nucleus suggested. I'll let y'all know how it worked out once I get a chance to mess with it.

11. Sep 5, 2008 #10

Borek

Strange, I am using an earlier Visual Studio and no problems with C compilation at all. What error messages did you get?

12. Sep 5, 2008 #11

KTC

Are you sure, you know, that the code you're testing the compiler with is valid??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?