Cable car system : Tension in the pull cable

In summary, the conversation discusses a cable car system with a maximum permissible mass of 2800 kg for each car, being pulled by a support cable at an inclined angle of 35° and an acceleration of .81 m/s2. The difference in tension between adjacent sections of pull cable is found to be 47216.8 N. However, there is some confusion in the wording of the exercise, as it could also refer to the tension between adjacent sections of three cars each. The correct acceleration to use is .81 m/s2, not 0.80 m/s2.
Curieuse

Homework Statement

Figure shows a section of a cable car system. The maximum permissible mass of each car with occupants is 2800 kg. The cars, riding on a support cable are pulled by a second cable attached to the support tower on each car. Assume that the cables are taut and inclined at θ= 35°. What is the difference in tension between adjacent sections of pull cable if the cars are at the maximum permissible mass and are being accelerated up the incline at .81 m/s2.

Homework Equations

FNET=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

From figure,

T2 = T1 +Mg sin θ
T1 = Mg sin θ
Thus, T2 = 2 Mg sin θ

And Tn = n Mg sin θ

Thus, T5 - T2 = (5-2) Mg sin θ = 3*9.8*2800*sin(35°)= 47216.8 N

Is this answer correct?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Captullre.JPG
    Captullre.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Captulllre.JPG
    Captulllre.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 927
Physics news on Phys.org
I read the exercise somewhat differently: adjacent sections of pull cable means you have to take e.g. T2 - T1, not T5 -T2 as you seem to be doing. Then: the pull cable is the one that provides the acceleration, so I would expect the acceleration should appear somewhere in the answer, isn't it ?

Oh of course! I thought the same about the T2-T1 thing and then saw this
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=291753
and redid it.
But yeah! The acceleration is in the answer, It skipped my mind soo bad when I redid it with the section things and all. :cry:
So the free body diagram goes to this,
and so the equation for Tn = n(ma+mg sinθ)
And T5-T3= 2(2800)(.80+9.8 sin(35°))
For Tn-Tn-1 = 2800(.80+9.8 sin(35°))

So, i guess we could answer both! But also refer to the question,
Figure shows a section of a cable car system. The maximum permissible mass of each car with occupants is 2800 kg. The cars, riding on a support cable are pulled by a second cable attached to the support tower on each car. Assume that the cables are taut and inclined at θ= 35°. What is the difference in tension between adjacent sections of pull cable if the cars are at the maximum permissible mass and are being accelerated up the incline at .81 m/s2.

But then, there's be a chance to get at the implied meaning if someone has a solution manual of some sort to the Fundamentals of Physics- 8th edition extended by Halliday, Resnick and Walker..o have had it in class or something.. I guess there's no better way to know it than that!

Attachments

• Cajjpture.jJPG.JPG
    Cajjpture.jJPG.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 939
  • Capturkkke.JPG
    Capturkkke.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 717
I see. This has nothing to do with physics any more. It is clear you completely understand the situation. The formulation of the exercise is confusing, not intentionally, I suppose, but they could have written "tension between adjacent sections of three cars each" to keep it clear...

They mention an acceleration of .81 m/s2. Is there a reason you write 0.80 ?

No! It has to be .81! Clearly saturated with the problem i am now! :tongue2:

1. What is a cable car system?

A cable car system is a transportation method that uses cables and pulleys to move a vehicle, such as a gondola or tram, along a predetermined route. It is commonly used in mountainous areas or urban settings with steep inclines.

2. How does a cable car system work?

A cable car system operates by using a continuously moving steel cable, known as the haul rope, to pull the cars along the track. The cars are attached to the haul rope by a grip or grip mechanism that allows them to be pulled up or down the track. The tension in the pull cable, also known as the tension in the haul rope, is what allows the cars to move smoothly along the track.

3. What is the purpose of the pull cable in a cable car system?

The pull cable, also known as the haul rope, serves as the main source of power in a cable car system. It carries the weight of the cars and passengers and moves them along the track. The tension in the pull cable is what propels the cars and allows them to travel along the predetermined route.

4. How is tension in the pull cable maintained?

The tension in the pull cable is maintained through a system of counterweights and pulleys. The counterweights are designed to balance the weight of the cars and passengers, while the pulleys help distribute the tension evenly along the cable. Regular maintenance and adjustments are also necessary to ensure proper tension in the pull cable.

5. What factors can affect the tension in the pull cable?

The tension in the pull cable can be affected by various factors, such as the weight of the cars and passengers, the speed of the cars, and changes in weather conditions. Additionally, regular wear and tear of the cable and grip mechanisms can also impact the tension in the pull cable and require adjustments to maintain safe and efficient operation of the cable car system.