1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cable car system : Tension in the pull cable

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Figure shows a section of a cable car system. The maximum permissible mass of each car with occupants is 2800 kg. The cars, riding on a support cable are pulled by a second cable attached to the support tower on each car. Assume that the cables are taut and inclined at θ= 35°. What is the difference in tension between adjacent sections of pull cable if the cars are at the maximum permissible mass and are being accelerated up the incline at .81 m/s2.

2. Relevant equations

FNET=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

From figure,

T2 = T1 +Mg sin θ
    T1 = Mg sin θ
    Thus, T2 = 2 Mg sin θ

And Tn = n Mg sin θ

Thus, T5 - T2 = (5-2) Mg sin θ = 3*9.8*2800*sin(35°)= 47216.8 N

Is this answer correct?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I read the exercise somewhat differently: adjacent sections of pull cable means you have to take e.g. T2 - T1, not T5 -T2 as you seem to be doing. Then: the pull cable is the one that provides the acceleration, so I would expect the acceleration should appear somewhere in the answer, isn't it ?

4. May 14, 2014 #3
    Oh of course! I thought the same about the T2-T1 thing and then saw this
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=291753
    and redid it.
    But yeah! The acceleration is in the answer, It skipped my mind soo bad when I redid it with the section things and all. :cry:
    So the free body diagram goes to this,
    and so the equation for Tn = n(ma+mg sinθ)
    And T5-T3= 2(2800)(.80+9.8 sin(35°))
    For Tn-Tn-1 = 2800(.80+9.8 sin(35°))

So, i guess we could answer both! But also refer to the question,
    Figure shows a section of a cable car system. The maximum permissible mass of each car with occupants is 2800 kg. The cars, riding on a support cable are pulled by a second cable attached to the support tower on each car. Assume that the cables are taut and inclined at θ= 35°. What is the difference in tension between adjacent sections of pull cable if the cars are at the maximum permissible mass and are being accelerated up the incline at .81 m/s2.

But then, there's be a chance to get at the implied meaning if someone has a solution manual of some sort to the Fundamentals of Physics- 8th edition extended by Halliday, Resnick and Walker..o have had it in class or something.. I guess there's no better way to know it than that!

Attached Files:

5. May 14, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see. This has nothing to do with physics any more. It is clear you completely understand the situation. The formulation of the exercise is confusing, not intentionally, I suppose, but they could have written "tension between adjacent sections of three cars each" to keep it clear...

They mention an acceleration of .81 m/s2. Is there a reason you write 0.80 ?

6. May 15, 2014 #5
    No! It has to be .81! Clearly saturated with the problem i am now! :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted