Caffeine Soap; does it really work?

In summary, the conversation is about caffeine soaps and the potential effects of caffeine absorption through the skin. United Nuclear claims that caffeine can reach the bloodstream faster through skin absorption than ingesting caffeinated beverages. The CDC discusses the process of dermal absorption and the factors that can affect it. These factors include skin integrity, location of exposure, physical and chemical properties of the substance, concentration on the skin surface, duration of exposure, and surface area of skin exposed. It is noted that the concentration of caffeine in shower water and the duration and surface area of exposure can affect the total amount of caffeine absorbed. The conversation also mentions a similar soap sold by Think-Geek with a higher caffeine content than coffee. However, it is speculated that the
Linuxkid
Evening all,

I've been curious about these caffeine soaps lately and thought that this would be the place to discuss about it.

My almost-favorite website United Nuclear claims:

"As it turns out, our good old friend Caffeine
reaches the bloodstream faster through skin absorption
than ingesting caffeinated beverages such as coffee or energy drinks."

Soap: http://unitednuclear.com/index.php? main_page=product_info&cPath=29_54&products_id=447
--------

So I browsed for chemical exposure websites and got this CDC site: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/skin/

"Dermal Absorption

Dermal absorption is the transport of a chemical from the
outer surface of the skin both into the skin and into the body.
Studies show that absorption of chemicals through the skin can
occur without being noticed by the worker, and in some cases,
may represent the most significant exposure pathway. Many
commonly used chemicals in the workplace could potentially
result in systemic toxicity if they penetrate through the skin
(i.e. pesticides, organic solvents). These chemicals enter the
blood stream and cause health problems away from the site of entry.

The rate of dermal absorption depends largely on the outer layer of the
skin called the stratum corneum (SC). The SC serves an important barrier
function by keeping molecules from passing into and out of the skin, thus
protecting the lower layers of skin. The extent of absorption is dependent
the following factors:

Skin integrity (damaged vs. intact)

Location of exposure (thickness and water content of stratum corneum; skin temperature)

Physical and chemical properties of the hazardous substance

Concentration of a chemical on the skin surface

Duration of exposure

The surface area of skin exposed to a hazardous substance"

The last three are immediately relevant (though others are quite significant).
1. "Concentration of a chemical on the skin surface"
Shower water and initial soap concentrations are limiting factors.

2. "Duration of exposure"
Leaving it on for 1 minute versus 15 minutes would make quite a difference.

3. "The surface area of skin exposed to a hazardous substance"
Well, caffeine isn't exactly monomethylhydrazine, but an increased applied area of soap definitely would increase the total amount absorbed.

All three are no-brainer statements of course but definitely a decent place to start.
Think-Geek has a similar soap that are 4 ounce bars with
200 milligrams of Caffeine each. Comparing it to caffiene data (mg) from coffeefaq.com:

7oz coffee:
Drip 115-175mg
Brewed 80-135mg
Instant 65-100mg

It seems like coffee has no chance versus caffeine soaps,
but nevertheless I believe the actual amount of caffeine from the soap
absorbed by the body is substantially lower. (That's my personal hunch, anyways.)

It should be interesting to see what others have to say.

Cheers,

Nikos

Physics news on Phys.org
Ha, I actually bought my mother some caffeine soap as sort of a joke gift a few years back. I'll have to ask her if it worked!

I wonder how long I would have to stand there all lathered up before I could; rinse off, dry off, get dressed, and go make a pot of coffee.:smile:

Even if caffeine does get absorbed into the body through the skin, I doubt you use all 4 ounces of the bar of soap each time you bathe. I know it takes me a while to get through 1 bar of soap, not 1 or 2 times in the tub.

But if one eats the remaining soap -- as a snack -- before one leaves the tub, that might do the trick.

I asked my mom and she said she couldn't feel much effect if any.

1. How does caffeine soap work?

Caffeine soap works by absorbing through the skin and stimulating the central nervous system. When caffeine reaches the bloodstream, it blocks the effects of adenosine, a neurotransmitter that causes drowsiness. This leads to increased alertness and energy.

2. What are the benefits of using caffeine soap?

The main benefit of using caffeine soap is its ability to provide a quick and convenient energy boost. It can also improve mental focus and has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

3. Is caffeine soap safe to use?

Most caffeine soaps are considered safe for use, but it is important to check the ingredients and follow recommended usage guidelines. It is not recommended for children or pregnant women, and those with caffeine sensitivities should use caution.

4. How long does the effects of caffeine soap last?

The effects of caffeine soap typically last for a few hours, but this can vary depending on the individual's metabolism and caffeine tolerance. It is recommended to use caffeine soap in the morning or early afternoon to avoid any sleep disturbances.

5. Can I use caffeine soap every day?

It is generally safe to use caffeine soap on a daily basis, but it is important to listen to your body and adjust usage as needed. Using caffeine soap too frequently can lead to caffeine dependence and tolerance, so it is best to use it in moderation.