1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate a diver's turns in air

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The rotational inertia for a diver in a pike position is about 15.5 kg m2; it is only 8.0 kg m2 in a tucked position (the figure above).

(a) If the diver gives himself an initial angular momentum of 106 kg m2/s as he jumps off the board, how many turns can he make when jumping off a 10.0-m platform in a tuck position? [Hint: Gravity exerts no torque on the person as he falls; assume he is rotating throughout the 10.0 m dive.]

(b) How many in a pike position?

2. Relevant equations

WiIi= WfIf
    n= (wf/2Pie) t

3. The attempt at a solution

The teacher mildly went over this problem in class. These are the eqns he gave us. I tried to solve for wf and substituted that answer in the second eqn to find the number of turns in time t, which i calculated thru the eqn :
    h=vit + 1/2 at2
    I really have NO idea how to do this problem, i only know these eqns from wat the instructor provided. If you can please teach me how to go about solving the problem and understanding it, i would really truly appreciate it!! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Don't you just need angular momentum = I*ω to find ω?
    After that, use your second formula to get the number of turns in the time it takes to fall to the water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook