Calculate Area of Ellipse in Keplerian Orbit

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cptolemy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Ellipse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
cptolemy
Messages
45
Reaction score
1
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to know, in a keplerian orbit, how to calculate the area of a swaped area; since the Sun is at one of the focus, I wish to calculate given an angle measured from focus to the orbiting body, the area swaped.
I don't know if I'm explaning this right...Hope so.

Kind regards,

CPtolemy
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
cptolemy said:
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to know, in a keplerian orbit, how to calculate the area of a swaped area; since the Sun is at one of the focus, I wish to calculate given an angle measured from focus to the orbiting body, the area swaped.
I don't know if I'm explaning this right...Hope so.

Kind regards,

CPtolemy

swaped = ? What is this word?

Calculating the area of an ellipse is pretty straightforward. There are several formulas if you know the equation of the ellipse. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Area.
 
Hi,

I mean swept. Sorry for my english... :(

I don't want to know the entire area of the ellipse - just the swept area by the body.

Regards,

CPtolemy
 
I think he meant the area "swept out" by the planets motion- the area inside the elliptic orbit.

cptolemy, the area of an ellipse with major and minor axes of lengths a and b is [itex]\pi ab[/itex].
 
In Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Bate, Mueller and White, ISBN 0-486-60061-0, I can see the following equation:

dt = 2/h dA

h is the specific angular momentum, given by h = r v sin(γ), where γ is the flight path angle, i.e. the angle between the r and v vectors. This is consistent with Kepler's second law as h is a constant for a given orbit.