1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equations of Keplerian Orbit

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure illustrates a Keplerian orbit, with Cartesian coordinates (x,y) and
    plane polar coordinates (r,φ).
    F = -(G*M*m)/r^2
    The parametric equations for the orbit:
    r(ψ) = a ( 1 − e cos ψ)
    tan(φ/2) = [(1+e)/(1-e)]^(1/2)* tan(ψ/2)
    t(ψ) = (T/2π) ( ψ − e sin ψ)
    where ψ is the independent, parametric variable; a, e, and T are constants.

Prove, directly from the parametric equations, that the angular momentum L is
    constant. Express L in terms of the constants of the orbit (and any other relevant parameters).

2. Relevant equations
    L = r x p
    τnet = r x F

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that in order for L to be constant, its derivative (net torque) must be 0, but this isn't really getting me anywhere. I know torque = rxF and L = rmv, but quite frankly I can't seem to figure out how to do this using the parametric equations.
    What I have done using the parametric equations is this:
    L = m*r(ψ)*v(t) = m*(a*(1-e*cos(ψ)))*v(t)
    From here I'm having a difficult time finding an expression for v(t). I tried using the relations
    ω=((2*π)/T) and v = ω*r for the following work:
    t(ψ) = (1/ω)*(ψ-esin(ψ))
    ==> ω = (ψ-esin(ψ))/t(ψ)
    ==> ω = (ψ-esin(ψ))/((T/(2π))*(ψ-esin(ψ))
    ==> ω = (2π/T) (this obviously backtracked)
    ==> v = r*(2π/T)

∴L = m*(a*(1-e*cos(ψ)))*(a*(1-e*cos(ψ)))*(2π/T)
    or L = m*a2*(1-e*cos(ψ))2*(2π/T)

I'm pretty sure this isn't right because it isn't going to be constant for different r values. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The time-derivative of L = r x p is not r x F. Don't forget that r depends on time as well.
    Only if r and v are perpendicular to each other. In general, they are not.

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3
    Ok, well my intuition tells me to make L=r(psi)mvsin(θ) where θ is the angle between the positive x-axis and the line from the focal point to the point in the orbit

In my notes, we proved momentum was constant by making momentum L = m(x*vy - y*vx) and converting to polar coordinates. Does this equation apply to any elliptical orbit?

As for the time derivative of L = rmv, I am just unsure of how to do this as I can't seem to figure out the correct expression for v.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. Apr 21, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

If you calculate the cross-product, this is exactly what you get. It looks tricky to get v_y, v_x based on the functions in the problem statement, however. L=r(psi)mvsin(θ) looks easier to evaluate.

The formula is wrong for an elliptic orbit anyway, there is no need to get v.

6. Apr 21, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, it is. When you apply the product rule, the other term drops out because dr/dt is parallel to p.

7. Apr 21, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Oh, right.
    Good, now it makes sense again (as ##\dot{L}=\tau=r \times F##).

8. Apr 21, 2013 #7
    Ok, I'm confused here. I'm continuing forward with L = mvr(ψ)sin(θ), but I don't understand why I don't need to get v, since v isn't constant? I know that when taking the time derivative of L one of the terms is r x p = 0 because they parallel

9. Apr 21, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

These relations only give you one component of the velocity, due to the fact that the angle ##\varphi## is changing. The other component arises because ##r## varies with time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted