Time average of potential energy in Keplerian orbit

In summary, the time average of a function f(t) over a time interval \tau is defined to be <f(t)>=\frac{1}{\tau}\int_0^{\tau} f(t) dt.
acr
Hello,

I'm trying to show that the time average of the potential energy of a 2-body system is equal to the instantaneous potential energy of that system when the two bodies are separated by a distance equal to the semi-major axis, a.

So I know that

[tex]U = \frac{-Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r}[/tex]

and the time average of a function [tex]f(t)[/tex] over a time interval [tex]\tau[/tex] is defined to be

[tex] <f(t)>=\frac{1}{\tau}\int_0^{\tau} f(t) dt [/tex]

and

[tex]r = \frac{a(1-e^{2})}{1+ecos \theta}[/tex]

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my attempt? Here it is:

[tex]<U>=\frac{1}{P} \int_0^P \frac{-Gm_1m_2}{r} dt = \frac{-Gm_{1}m_{2}}{2\pi a(1-e^2)}\int_0^{2\pi}(1+ecos\theta) d\theta
=\frac{-Gm_1m_2}{a(1-e^2)}
[/tex],

but I'm supposed to be verifying that

[tex]<U>=\frac{-Gm_1m_2}{a}[/tex]

I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of that factor of (1-e^2) in the denominator. I suppose this can be simplified by just asking why/how

[tex] <\frac{1}{r}>=\frac{1}{a}[/tex]

and not

[tex]\frac{1}{a(1-e^2)}}[/tex]

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello acr! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(nice LaTeX, btw :biggrin:)
acr said:
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my attempt? Here it is:

[tex]<U>=\frac{1}{P} \int_0^P \frac{-Gm_1m_2}{r} dt = \frac{-Gm_{1}m_{2}}{2\pi a(1-e^2)}\int_0^{2\pi}(1+ecos\theta) d\theta
=\frac{-Gm_1m_2}{a(1-e^2)}
[/tex]

ah, you haven't converted 1/P properly (t = P when θ = 2π doesn't mean P = 2π, does it? :wink:), or dt.

Hint: use conservation of angular momentum. :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim,

I'm trying to make sense of how to incorporate the conservation of angular momentum. Would it be correct to assume that

[tex]
\textbf{v} \times \textbf{r} = r^2 \frac{d\theta}{dt}=const=\frac{L}{m}
[/tex]

is a valid statement? This would indicate that

[tex]
dt=\frac{mr^2 }{L} d \theta
[/tex]

but that doesn't seem to help much when I evaluate the new integral (or if it does, it's eluding me!)... I'm still not getting something. Any suggestions?

acr said:
[tex]
dt=\frac{mr^2 }{L} d \theta
[/tex]

That's right. :smile:

And now use that into the original integral, to substitute for dt. :wink:

Thanks again. Because r is the separation between m1 and m2, L would be m2r2 d theta/dt (choosing to let r represent the position of m2 relative to m1). When I use the result above for dt, the new integral ends up coming out as

[tex]

\frac{-Gm_1 m_2^2 a (1-e^2)^{1/2}}{L}

[/tex]

Which would indicate that I want L to be equal to

[tex]

m_2 a^2 \sqrt{1-e^2} =m_2 a b

[/tex]

I don't see how it could be, though. I am still using 2pi in place of P. I'm not sure how I should go about writing P in terms of angular measure, if this isn't correct. Any insights?

Thank you

1. What is the time average of potential energy in Keplerian orbit?

The time average of potential energy in Keplerian orbit is the average potential energy of an object moving around a central body, such as a planet orbiting a star, over a period of time. It takes into account the changing distance between the two objects and the corresponding changes in potential energy.

2. How is the time average of potential energy calculated in Keplerian orbit?

The time average of potential energy in Keplerian orbit can be calculated using the formula: E_avg = -GmM/2a, where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the orbiting object and the central body, respectively, and a is the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. Can the time average of potential energy change over time in a Keplerian orbit?

Yes, the time average of potential energy in a Keplerian orbit can change over time due to factors such as the changing distance between the orbiting object and central body, variations in the masses of the two objects, and changes in the shape or orientation of the orbit.

4. What is the significance of the time average of potential energy in Keplerian orbit?

The time average of potential energy in Keplerian orbit is an important concept in understanding the dynamics of objects in orbit. It helps to explain the stability of orbits and the relationship between potential and kinetic energy in a system. It also plays a role in predicting the behavior of objects in gravitational fields.

5. How does the time average of potential energy relate to the concept of conservation of energy?

The time average of potential energy in Keplerian orbit is a manifestation of the principle of conservation of energy. It shows that the total energy of an object in orbit, which is the sum of its potential and kinetic energy, remains constant over time. This is true for any closed system, where energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.