1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate force from wind on kite

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A large kite of mass 3.8kg is flying through the air on a windy day. Currently, the tension from the string on the kite has a magnitude of 8.7N at an angle θ=33.7 degrees. The current acceleration of the kite has a magnitude of a=6.28m/s/s at an angle [itex]\Phi[/itex]=38.7 degrees. The only forces felt by the kite are its own weight, the tension from the string, and a foce from the wind. Find x-component of the force from the wind on the kite. The components of a are acos[itex]\Phi[/itex] in the negative x-direction, and asin[itex]\Phi[/itex] in the positive y-direction.

2. Relevant equations
    ƩF=ma for the x and y directions

3. The attempt at a solution
    ƩFx=m(acos[itex]\Phi[/itex])
    FTsinθ-Fx,WKcos[itex]\Phi[/itex]=m(acos[itex]\Phi)[/itex])
    Fx,WK=[-m(a)+FTsinθ]/cos[itex]\Phi[/itex]

This doesn't seem to be working

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

FTsinθ-Fx,WKcosΦ=m(acosΦ))

Here, you don't need to multiply Fx,WK by cosΦ because the fact that it is the x component 'takes into account' the angle of the wind force, if you see what I mean. Also, the angle wouldn't be the same as the angle of the acceleration of the kite anyway.

Also, you wrote: ƩFx=m(acosΦ) But it says in the question that the component of a in the negative x direction is acosΦ, so shouldn't there be a negative sign here?

Another possible reason that you might have the wrong answer is that you might have interpreted the angles wrong. I can't tell, because I don't know where the angles are being measured from / what direction, since I don't have the diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook