1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate frequency change due to gravity

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to solve the frequency change due to gravity of a radio signal transmitted at 2x10^9 Hz from geosynchronous orbit (H = 35780 km). This (would be) easy if I could use the value g = 9.8m/s^2, the catch is "do not assume constant g".

The equation assuming constant g is:

(f_rec - f_trans)/f_rec = gH/c^2 (Eq 1)

(Note this is the form derived from the original energy conservation relation: hf = hf' + mgH, use m=E/c^2=hf/c^2).

My initial stab at it was to substitute an expression using the universal gravitational constant:

(f_rec - f_trans)/f_rec = (GM)*(1/r_earth - 1/(r_earth + H))/(c^2) (Eq 2)

where M is the mass of the earth and G is the universal gravitational constant. This results in a frequency shift of ~+1 Hz (so small I needed to use a num2str command in MATLAB to see it given the magnitude of f_trans).

I then thought perhaps I was being cute with assuming H and an inverse distance would cancel w/o deleterious effects, so I went back to the unsimplified form:

(f_rec - f_trans)/f_rec = (GMH)*(1/r_earth - 1/(r_earth + H))^2/(c^2) (Eq 3)

This yielded a frequency shift of ~+5 Hz (again so small I needed to use a num2str command in MATLAB to see it given the magnitude of f_trans).

My issue is that I'm not sure I'm accounting for non-constant gravity correctly; if I am then I've solved the problem, if not...

Please forgive if this is an easy problem or there is a "well-known" treatment for non-constant gravity I am just not finding, I am a mathematician with only a high school physics background taking a masters level physics class.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See link below.

According to that, the red shift should be
    Δf/f = 1/{sqrt(1 - rs/R1) - 1/sqrt(1 - rs/R2)}

where rs is the Schwarzschild radius for Earth = 2GM/c^2, M = mass of Earth, or about 9 mm; R1 is the distance from Earth center to the satellite, and R2 is the radius of Earth.
    Since Δf/f < 0 this amounts to a blue shift, as you also found. So Δf/f is actually > 0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_redshift

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook