Calculate N for 95% Confidence in Iodine in Sea Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aerodynamic20
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Aerodynamic20
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The determination of iodine in sea water gave a mean value of 46.43 μg/L and a sample standard deviation ss of 1.37 μg/L.

What is the minimum number of samples (N) which must be analyzed to have 95% confidence that the mean value differs from the true value by no more than 2.0%?

Homework Equations



u-x(bar)= +/- ts/rt(n) -------> n=(t^2)(s^2)/((u-x)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution



I know from the confident interval, the minimum at 95% is 1.96=t, s=1.37, e=0.02,
where am I going wrong?

Help please
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's been awhile since I've done stats, but doesn't the t value depend on your degrees of freedom, which in turn depends on n?
 
Dopefish1337 said:
It's been awhile since I've done stats, but doesn't the t value depend on your degrees of freedom, which in turn depends on n?

It does but it is not given in the question. I don't know how possible it is to find the degree a freedom from the information given in the question. Any ideas folks?
 
For assumed N t is easy to calculate, isn't it? My stats are rusty as hell, but I think you can just prepare a table confidence vs N and check what N value is enough.

--
methods