1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: detectibility of two objects, with 95% confidence

1. Jul 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Apologies if this is not meant to go in to homework area; this is not a homework or coursework question, but more to convince myself that what I am reading is correct

I have attached the diagram I am pondering over... How can I prove that if I want to differentiate between two objects at the 95% level then the difference between the mean of the two distributoins must be 3.29σ (*assume the standard deviation is the same for both distribution*)

I.e. i want to prove the distance in the attached image is 3.29σ

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

95% (two tailed distribution is normally +/-1.96*σ). Therefore I naively thought that the distance would be two times this ie 3.92σ. This has the same numbers but in the wrong order!!! Im sure im missing something obvious but as I am not clued up in my statistics Im finding it difficult to see what is wrong with my approach. Can anyone shed some light?!

thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##X\sim n(\mu_1,\sigma^2)## and ##Y\sim n(\mu_2,\sigma^2)## then ##W = X-Y \sim n(\mu_1-\mu_2,2\sigma^2)##. If your hypothesis is that the means are different you want to reject ##H_0:\mu_1=\mu_2## with a two tailed test at 95% confidence you need$$
    |Z| =\left|\frac{W-0}{\sqrt 2\sigma} \right| > 1.96$$ That gives ##|W|>1.96\sqrt 2\sigma
    =2.77\sigma##. Perhaps I misunderstand the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted