How many phosphorus atoms are in 8.75 moles of H2P2O7?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sweetshelly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stoichiometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
sweetshelly
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
This is the question:
How many phosphorus atoms are contained in 8.75 moles of H2P2O7? Put your answer in E-format with 1 number before and 2 numbers after the decimal place. e.g., 6.02 x 1023 would be input as 6.02E23.



the answer is : 1.05E25 (1.05 × 1025)

I really have no idea where to start. Please someone help me
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To start off, how many atoms are there in 1 mole of phosphorus atoms?

This link should aid your understanding.
http://www.fordhamprep.org/gcurran/sho/sho/skills/moleconex.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You've been given 8.75 moles of H2P2O7, which contains 2x8.75 moles of H, 2x8.75 moles of P, and 7x8.75 moles of O. In one mole of anything (H2P2O7, P atoms, eggplants, etc), there are 6.02E23 particles.
 
kinthos said:
You've been given 8.75 moles of H2P2O7, which contains 2x8.75 moles of H, 2x8.75 moles of P, and 7x8.75 moles of O. In one mole of anything (H2P2O7, P atoms, eggplants, etc), there are 6.02E23 particles.

wow thank you so much. This explanation gave me the correct answer. I really appreciate your help a lot. This is part of our exam review. If I didn't know how to solve this problem I would miss it. I can't afford not knowing something b/c we only have 20 questions total. I need an A on tomorrow test to make an A average for the semester. You're the greatest :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: