Calculate Potential Energy of 8.4N Spring w/31.9 N/m Constant

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rha1828
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spring Urgent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Rha1828
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
A force of 8.4 N holds an ideal spring with a 31.9 N/m spring constant in compression. How much potential energy is stored in the spring?

I would think it would be PE =mgh
to get m you divide the force/g
but now I am not sure what to do after that.
Any help would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly how is F (the force) related to the extension (or compression) of an ideal spring?
 
you will have to find the compressed displacement by the formula f=-kx
 
I'm not sure. My Teacher just through this problem at us without much explanation. We haven't even covered springs. I'll look into your question though I am not sure I fully understand it.
Thanks!
 
OH! Now I can understand that! Fx= -kx...Thank you I will try and see what I get!