1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate reaction in hyper static beam

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the reaction MA

http://alkaspace.com/is.php?i=134123&img=E-3.1.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I have put the reaction By as an hyper static force. Then I found the deflection in B with the force By as a variable.

vb= [itex]\frac{w}{24EI}[/itex](3L4-4a3L+a4) - [itex]\frac{B_{y}L^{3}}{3EI}[/itex]

Then I know that vb=0 because it is on a reaction. With that I find that
    By= [itex]\frac{w}{8L^{3}}[/itex][3L4-4a3L+a4]

Now I just have to calculate the moment with
    Mb=(a+b/2)bw-LBy

My final answer is [itex]\frac{wb^{2}}{8L^{2}}[2L^{2}+6L^{4}-b^{2}][/itex]

In the book, the final answer is [itex]\frac{wb^{2}}{8L^{2}}[2L^{2}-b^{2}][/itex].

I only have a 6L4 that isn't supposed to be here. Please help.

PytLov
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2012 #2
    If the answer in the book is "In the book, the final answer is wb28L2[2L2−b2].", what is the question, exactly?

4. Feb 24, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I should have added: If you put b=L, in the book answer, you get the wrong answer wL^2/8

5. Feb 24, 2012 #4
    The question is "what are the reactions" and I gave you the answer of the moment at point A. Maybe the book answer is wrong, it's a book from 1992. But I still don't know if I have the good answer, and I think that hyper static structure is really hard. If someone knows the good answer that would be really nice !

PytLov

6. Feb 24, 2012 #5
    Sorry again. If you put b=L then the book is correct. If you could show all your working or references to formulas, then maybe someone would see an algebraic error.

7. Feb 24, 2012 #6
    Well, I was writing my solution, and now I get the good answer... no idea what was my mistake. But thank you anyway.

PytLov

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook