Calculate Speed of Electron Reaching Plate B in Parallel Plates

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
unhip_crayon
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two oppositely charged parallel plates, 13.0 cm apart, have a uniform electric
field between them. Vb − Va = +25.0 V. An electron with a mass of
9.11 × 10−31 kg and a charge of −1.60 × 10−19 C is released from rest at plate a.
Calculate the speed of the electron when it reaches plate b.

| |
| |
| |
a b



The Attempt at a Solution



E=V/d = 25/.13 = 192.3J

I also need you need to find accel. but I am not sure how.

please help, thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
unhip_crayon said:

Homework Statement



Two oppositely charged parallel plates, 13.0 cm apart, have a uniform electric
field between them. Vb − Va = +25.0 V. An electron with a mass of
9.11 × 10−31 kg and a charge of −1.60 × 10−19 C is released from rest at plate a.
Calculate the speed of the electron when it reaches plate b.

| |
| |
| |
a b



The Attempt at a Solution



E=V/d = 25/.13 = 192.3J

I also need you need to find accel. but I am not sure how.

please help, thanks


What is the equation for the electric force on a charge in an electric field?
 
Vq=1/2mv^2But I am still getting the wrong answer
 
Last edited: