1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-B crossed fields parallel plate

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A parallel plate has p.d. V with one end 0V and the other +V. B-field of strength B has direction along plates. An electron is released from rest at 0V plate. Show that if V is less than e(DB)2/(2m) the electron will not reach the other plate.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

At half-way inbetween the plates, the radius must be d/2

R = mv/Bq

d/2 = m*√(2*e*0.5V/m) / (Bq)

I end up with e(DB)2/(4m) instead..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.
    I don't follow your statement. Could you just as well reason that when the electron is 3/4 of the way across, then the radius must be d/4? If so, would you get the same answer?

I think you're going to need to set up the equations of motion for the x and y components of acceleration.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #3
    define x as upwards, y into the plate.

max = eV/d

may = qvB

x2 + y2 = d2

is that right?

5. Mar 5, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let me make sure I understand your choice of directions and signs. Correct me if I'm wrong. You're choosing the electric field in the negative x direction so that the E field accelerates the electron in the positive x direction. The x-axis is oriented perpendicular to the plates.

y-axis is parallel to the plates and B is parallel to the plates but perpendicular to both the x axis and the y axis such that when the electron starts moving the B field begins to deflect the electron toward positive y.

But once the electron is deflected some in the y-direction by the B field, the electron will then have a y-component of velocity. So, the magnetic field will then cause some force parallel to the x-axis! So, you need to include a magnetic force term in your equation for ax.

The electron is going to move along a curved path, so you can't say x2+y2 = d2 (if d represents the separation of the plates).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted