1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the concentration (in M) of Cl- ions in solution C

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

PROBLEM #1 You have 3.00 L of a 3.39 M solution of NaCl(aq) called solution A. You also have 2.00 L of a 2.00 Msolution of AgNO3(aq) called solution B. You mix these solutions together, making solution C.

Calculate the concentration (in M) of Cl- ions in solution C.

PROBLEM #2 You have 3.00 L of a 3.00 M solution of NaCl(aq) called solution A. You also have 2.00 L of a 2.00 Msolution of AgNO3(aq) called solution B. You mix these solutions together, making solution C.

Calculate the concentration (in M) of Na+ ions in solution C.

2. Relevant equations
    nope

3. The attempt at a solution
    For problem #2, i figured it out easily. I just did:
    3.00M x 3.00L = 9moles.
    9moles/(2.00L + 3.00L) = 1.80M

For problem #1, i found the answer but i dont understand why. Heres what its supposed to be like:

3.39M x 3.00L = 10.17moles Nacl.
    2.00M x 2.00L = 4moles AgNO3 <------DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IM FINDING BOTH FOR THIS ONE AND NOT THE OTHER

now you do 10.17 moles NaCl - 4moles AgNO3 = 6.17Moles, (no idea why im subtracting for this and not the other).

Now divide 6.17 by the total like the other problem. 6.17/(2.00L + 3.00L) = 1.234M...

- i dont think its because one is a cation and one is an anion
    - my guess is that its because AgCl is a solid and NaNO3 is aqueous

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Write down the balanced equation for what happens when you mix NaCl and AgNO3, with proper labels [(aq), etc.], and see what is in solution.

4. Dec 8, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

For the record: that's not a correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted