Calculate the concentration ratio

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of electrode potentials and the use of Nernst's equation. The speaker suggests using a standard 1 atm pressure for gaseous hydrogen and clarifies that the potential of both half cells is not necessarily zero at equilibrium. They also mention that the calculation of the cell potential does not depend on whether the reaction is a reduction or oxidation.
Kqwert
Homework Statement
Hello,

If we have the half-reactions:

Fe3++e- -> Fe2+
and
2H+ + 2e- -> H2

Calculate the ratio [Fe3+] / [Fe2+] at pH 2.
Relevant Equations
Any hint? I was immediately thinking standard electrode potentials as we have two half reactions, but not sure exactly how to go on..

Physics news on Phys.org
Not standard electrode potentials. Do you know any equation that says what the real potential is?

I think I can use Nernst's equation, but not sure how to calculate the real potential..

In general question is incomplete, as it doesn't say anything about a pressure of gaseous hydrogen. I would go for a standard 1 atm.

How do I go on and solve it? I assume I can calculate the electrode potential of the hydrogen reaction, but I need the total electrode potential in order to find the Fe-ratio, right? Any hints?

At equilibrium both cells have the same potential.

Ok, I thought Ecell was 0 at equilibrium??

Yes, but it doesn't mean potentials of both half cells are zero. It means difference between them is zero, that is something entirely different.

Thank you. When saying "difference between them are zero". Is that when the cell potential is calculated on reduction form? I.e. both half reactions are given as reduction reactions. I know another way of looking at it is writing one reaction as an oxidation reaction and the other as a reduction rx.

Doesn't matter whether the reaction is reduction of oxidation, it occurs at exactly the same potential.

Your problem stem from the fact you were probably taught to calculate the cell potential by adding half cells but reversing the sign of one of them - this is completely unnecessary. Just subtract them and math will do the trick of reversing the sign if necessary (-(-1) is 1 after all).

1. What is the concentration ratio?

The concentration ratio is a measure of the relative size of the top firms in a particular industry. It is calculated by dividing the market share of the top firms by the total market share of all firms in the industry.

2. How is the concentration ratio calculated?

The concentration ratio is calculated by first determining the market share of each firm in the industry. Then, the market share of the top firms is added together and divided by the total market share of all firms in the industry. The resulting number is the concentration ratio.

3. What is a high concentration ratio?

A high concentration ratio indicates that a small number of firms hold a large share of the market. This can be an indicator of a highly competitive market or a market with dominant firms that have significant control over pricing and competition.

4. What is a low concentration ratio?

A low concentration ratio indicates that a large number of firms hold a smaller share of the market. This can be an indicator of a less competitive market with more opportunities for new firms to enter and compete.

5. How is the concentration ratio used?

The concentration ratio is used to assess the level of competition within an industry and to identify potential market power of dominant firms. It can also be used to compare industries and track changes in market structure over time.