1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the constant in Newton's law of gravity

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    Phobos, a moon of Mars, moving around planten in a circular orbit of radius [tex]9,5\cdot 10^6[/tex]. phobos period of revolution / orbital time is 7 h and 39 min. calculate the mass of March with the help of the given data and the constant in Newton's law of gravity.

it is easy to calculate the mass in March, but to calculate the constant in Newton's law of gravity, I do not know really how to use it? using the mass, I could be determined for plants Mars. there must be another formula which can calculate the mass in March, but to absorb the constant in Newton's law of gravity. but how? can anyone help me to think how?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi aloshi! :smile:

Newton's law of gravity is force = GMm/r2.

G is the universal gravitational constant (nothing to do with g).

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    Re: gravitation

but the task Says determine the universal gravitational constant, sow i dont new how to doit

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi aloshi :smile:

(btw, it's "Mars", not "March" :wink:)
    No, it says …
    which I think means "calculate the mass … with the help of the constant in Newton's law of gravity", not "calculate the mass … and calculate the constant in Newton's law of gravity". :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook