Newton's law of cooling - formula for constant k

In summary, the conversation is about the practical applications of Newton's law of cooling and the use of an online calculator to obtain approximate results without the need for temperature measurements. The formula for the approximate constant k, which includes the variables h, A, and C, is discussed and the speaker asks for the derivation and sources for this formula. A book recommendation, Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, is given as a reliable source for this equation. The speaker also mentions that approximate values of h can be found in tables in other books such as Chemical Engineers' Handbook and Mechanical Engineers Handbook.
FEAnalyst
Hi,

recently I got interested with practical applications of Newton's law of cooling. Its main disadvantage is that one has to measure temperature at some point of time (other than ##t=0##) to obtain solution for any other ##t##. However I've found an online calculator (https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/Newtons-law-of-cooling). It features the standard equation from this law: ##T=T_{amb}+(T_{0}-T_{amb}) \cdot e^{-k \cdot t}##. However there's also a formula for approximate constant ##k##: $$k=\frac{hA}{C}$$ where: ##h## - heat transfer coefficient, ##A## - area of heat exchange, ##C## - heat capacity. If this formula is correct then it makes Newton's law of cooling much more useful since no measurement is needed to obtain approximate results. However my question is - do you know how this formula is derived, what is the reason for such relationship and, what's even more important, where else can I find it (so far I've only seen it on this single website) ? Do you know any books with this equation ? I need some reliable source.

Thanks in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
How will you get the value of h without measurements?

Check out Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Likes vanhees71
Approximate values of heat transfer coefficient ##h## for various conditions (forced/natural convection) and types of fluid/gas can be easily found in the tables. Of course to get more accurate values one would have to perform some experimental testing but for me these approximate coefficients are enough.

Thanks for this book recommendation. I will try to find it. If you know about any other books with this formula, please let me know.

FEAnalyst said:
Approximate values of heat transfer coefficient ##h## for various conditions (forced/natural convection) and types of fluid/gas can be easily found in the tables. Of course to get more accurate values one would have to perform some experimental testing but for me these approximate coefficients are enough.

Thanks for this book recommendation. I will try to find it. If you know about any other books with this formula, please let me know.
In many cases, there are dimensionless correlations available of heat transfer coefficient in terms of the Nussult number as a function of Reynolds number and Prantdl number. For natural convection, they are in terms of Grashoff number. So, for the specific system geometry and material properties in your situation, you can get an accurate estimate of the heat transfer coefficient.

See also the Chemical Engineers' Handbook, Mechanical Engineers Handbook, etc.

What is Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools in a surrounding environment. It states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between its temperature and the temperature of its surroundings.

What is the formula for constant k in Newton's law of cooling?

The formula for constant k in Newton's law of cooling is k = -1/t ln((T-Ts)/(To-Ts)), where k is the cooling constant, t is the time, T is the temperature of the object at time t, Ts is the temperature of the surrounding environment, and To is the initial temperature of the object.

How is Newton's law of cooling used in real life?

Newton's law of cooling is used in various fields such as meteorology, engineering, and food preservation. It helps in predicting the rate at which an object will cool down in a given environment, which is crucial for designing efficient cooling systems and preserving perishable goods.

What are the limitations of Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling assumes that the surrounding environment remains constant and that there are no external factors affecting the cooling process. In reality, this may not always be the case, and other factors such as wind, humidity, and thermal radiation can influence the rate of cooling.

How is Newton's law of cooling related to the second law of thermodynamics?

Newton's law of cooling is a direct consequence of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat will always flow from a hotter object to a cooler object until they reach thermal equilibrium. This means that the rate of cooling of an object will decrease as it approaches the temperature of its surroundings.