1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the inverse of f(x) = x^3 = 3x^2 + 3x -1

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    f inverse for f(x)= x^3-3x^2+3x-1

i thought of taking x common factor x(x^2-3x+3)-1
    but i got stuck with the quadratic equation !!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

The coefficients of x^3, x^2, x, and 1 are +1, -3, +3, -1, an interesting pattern. Can you guess a value of x that makes f(x)=0 ? Call that value x0. Then, you can divide f(x) by x-x0 using polynomial long division: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/polydiv2.htm. That will give you a quadratic that you can factorize.
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

better yet to factorise...from x^3-3x^2 is there any factor you cant take out to make it 3x-1?
  5. Nov 7, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry!, please note that the rules for the Homework Help forums explicitly state that full answers should never be given to students.
  6. Nov 7, 2007 #5
    ooooh my bad. sorry about that cristo... i never saw a post about rules :eek:

but yeah... mooneh have you ever used or heard of Pascals Triangle before it's much easier to factor than long/synthetic division etc. etc. especially for the particular function you stated... from there you just solve to get the inverse
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?