Finding the Inverse Function of f(x) = 1−3x−2x^2 on Domain [-2, -1]

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Mark53
Messages
93
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let f(x) = 1−3x−2x^2 , x ∈ [−2, −1]. Use the Horizontal Line Test to show that f is 1–1 (on its given domain), and find the range R of f. Then find an expression for the inverse function f −1 : R → [−2, −1].

The Attempt at a Solution


I have already done the horizontal line test but I am unsure about my working out for the other parts below

would the range just be:

f(-2)=-1
f(-1)=2

y ∈ [−1, 2]

finding expression for inverse function

1−3x−2x^2=y
-2x^2-3x-y+1=0
using quadratic formula

x=(3-sqrt(-8y+17)/4 as (3+sqrt(-8y+17)/4 lies outside the range

Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark53 said:
x=(3-sqrt(-8y+17)/4
Sign error, and missing parenthesis. You should have checked whether it was right by substituting the values of x.
Mark53 said:
would the range just be:
Yes, but how do you justify it?
Note that f is continuous and 1-1. What does that tell you about turning points?
 
haruspex said:
Sign error, and missing parenthesis. You should have checked whether it was right by substituting the values of x.

Yes, but how do you justify it?
Note that f is continuous and 1-1. What does that tell you about turning points?

x=-(3-sqrt(-8y+17))/4

when I sub in y=-1 and 2 I get the correct x values

Is this correct now?

The question doesn't say anything about justifying the range though
 
Mark53 said:
x=-(3-sqrt(-8y+17))/4
when I sub in y=-1 and 2 I get the correct x values
Hmm... I don't still. I get 1/2 and -1/2 now.

Mark53 said:
The question doesn't say anything about justifying the range
Sure, but you were just guessing, yes? How would you justify it to yourself?
 
haruspex said:
Hmm... I don't still. I get 1/2 and -1/2 now.

I get a 1/2 and -1/2 when x=-(3+sqrt(-8y+17))/4

but when x=-(3-sqrt(-8y+17))/4
i get -1 and 2
 
Mark53 said:
I get a 1/2 and -1/2 when x=-(3+sqrt(-8y+17))/4

but when x=-(3-sqrt(-8y+17))/4
i get -1 and 2
-(3-sqrt(-8y+17))/4 with y=-1:
-(3-sqrt(+8+17))/4
-(3-sqrt(25))/4
-(3-5)/4
-(2)/4
 
haruspex said:
-(3-sqrt(-8y+17))/4 with y=-1:
-(3-sqrt(+8+17))/4
-(3-sqrt(25))/4
-(3-5)/4
-(2)/4
my bad I was entering it in my calculator wrong
so the answer should be -(3+sqrt(-8y+17))/4
 
Mark53 said:
my bad I was entering it in my calculator wrong
so the answer should be -(3+sqrt(-8y+17))/4
Yes. (You needed a calculator for that?)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and Mark53