Calculating Rotational Inertia of a Rectangular Prism

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of rotational inertia of a rectangular prism with uniform mass distribution about an axis through one corner and perpendicular to the large faces. The equation used is I = \int r^2 dm, and the radius between dm and the axis of rotation is r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2. The density, \rho, is constant and can be calculated using \rho = \frac{M}{V}, where V = abc. It is noted that the moment of inertia may or may not depend on the length c, depending on whether the density or total mass is considered given.
r16

Homework Statement

There is a rectangular prism of uniform mass distribution with lengths of [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]c[/itex] (b>a>c). Calculate it's rotational inertia about an axis through one corner and perpendicular to the large faces.

Homework Equations

[tex] I = \int r^2 dm [/tex]
[tex] r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 [/tex]
[tex] \rho = \frac{M}{V} [/tex]
[tex] V = abc [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am examining a cubic differential mass of [itex]dm[/itex]'s contribution on the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation. The radius between [itex]dm[/itex] and the axis of rotation is [itex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2[/itex]. The density, [itex]\rho[/itex], is constant which is [itex]\frac{M}{V}[/itex], so [itex] dm = \rho dV [/itex].

[tex] I = \int r^2 dm = \int (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) \rho dV [/tex]
[tex] I = \rho \iiint_V x^2 dV + y^2 dV + z^2 dV = \int^a_0 \int^b_0 \int^c_0 x^2 dzdydx + \int^a_0 \int^b_0 \int^c_0 y^2 dzdydx + \int^a_0 \int^b_0 \int^c_0 z^2 dzdydx [/itex]
[tex] I = \frac{\rho}{3} ( a^3 bc + ab^3 c + abc^3)[/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{M}{3abc} ( a^3 bc + ab^3 c + abc^3)[/tex]
[tex] I = \frac{M}{3} (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) [/tex]

This problem looked cool so I did it, but it was an even one so there is no answer in the back of the book. Does this look right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the situation? (red is axis of rotation)
1657047568503.png

If this is the case, the moment of inertia can not depend on c.
There is another, simpler, shape that you can use instead...

The classical mistake when calculating MoIs: ##r## should not be the magnitude of the position vector of the element dV, but its distance perpendicularly to the axis of rotation.

Likes Orodruin and malawi_glenn
drmalawi said:
Is this the situation? (red is axis of rotation)
View attachment 303793
If this is the case, the moment of inertia can not depend on c.
There is another, simpler, shape that you can use instead...
Just to add a side note: This depends on what is considered given. If the density is known and fixed, then the MoI will depend on c because larger c means more mass. If the density is instead adjusted such that the total mass ##M## is known, then indeed the MoI will be independent of c.

Likes Delta2 and malawi_glenn
Orodruin said:
This depends on what is considered given
That's true, the c-dependece will show up in M if a fixed density is given (also M would have a and b dependence M = ρabc)

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated based on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the rotational inertia of a rectangular prism?

The formula for calculating the rotational inertia of a rectangular prism is I = (1/12) * m * (h^2 + l^2), where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the prism, h is the height of the prism, and l is the length of the prism.

3. What is the unit for rotational inertia?

The unit for rotational inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg·m^2).

4. How does the shape of a rectangular prism affect its rotational inertia?

The shape of a rectangular prism affects its rotational inertia by changing the distribution of its mass. A longer and thinner prism will have a larger rotational inertia than a shorter and wider prism with the same mass.

5. Can the rotational inertia of a rectangular prism be changed?

Yes, the rotational inertia of a rectangular prism can be changed by changing the mass distribution or the axis of rotation. For example, moving the axis of rotation closer to the center of mass will decrease the rotational inertia.