1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the pH of 20.00 mL of 0.20 M KHP

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the pH of 20.00 mL of 0.20 M KHP.

Given: pKa1(H2P)= 2.950 pKa2(H2P)= 5.408

2. Relevant equations

k = [H][P]/[HP]

3. The attempt at a solution

I used this equation and got:

3.91e-6 = [x][x]/[.2]

x^2 = 7.82e-7

x = 8.8e-4 = [H]

pH = 3.05

However, my homework is telling me this is incorrect. Is it just a rounding issue or is it something else? Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: titrations

Either your pK1 value is wrong OR your K1 value is wrong. Fix the wrong one and you may be able to improve your result. I base my comment on the idea that the first dissociation is far more important than the second dissociation in the solution just containing the dissolved KHP. I may be incorrect in this judgement (while still relearning).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  5. Nov 6, 2009 #4

Borek

This is Ka2 and pKa2. w330 tries to base calculations only on the second dissociation step, ignoring hydrolysis. As explained on the linked page this is incorrect approach.

--
    methods

6. Nov 6, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Borek, the discussion in your hyperlink in the post was interesting, and a little clearer than the discussion in the old analyitical textbook I read yesterday. Something almost like it was also shown in an old General Chemistry textbook. I have not seen much of that type of exercise for a long, long time.

7. Nov 6, 2009 #6

Borek

In a way I am like an old analytical chemistry textbook :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook