Calculate the pH of 20.00 mL of 0.20 M KHP

• Thread starter w3390
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the pH of 20.00 mL of 0.20 M KHP is incorrectly calculated as 3.05 using the equation k = [H][P]/[HP] due to a wrong pK1 value or K1 value. The first dissociation is more important than the second dissociation, and the incorrect approach of ignoring hydrolysis may have led to the incorrect result. Further investigation and correction of the wrong value is needed.
w3390

Homework Statement

Calculate the pH of 20.00 mL of 0.20 M KHP.

Given: pKa1(H2P)= 2.950 pKa2(H2P)= 5.408

Homework Equations

k = [H][P]/[HP]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this equation and got:

3.91e-6 = [x][x]/[.2]

x^2 = 7.82e-7

x = 8.8e-4 = [H]

pH = 3.05

However, my homework is telling me this is incorrect. Is it just a rounding issue or is it something else? Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Either your pK1 value is wrong OR your K1 value is wrong. Fix the wrong one and you may be able to improve your result. I base my comment on the idea that the first dissociation is far more important than the second dissociation in the solution just containing the dissolved KHP. I may be incorrect in this judgement (while still relearning).

Last edited:

This is Ka2 and pKa2. w330 tries to base calculations only on the second dissociation step, ignoring hydrolysis. As explained on the linked page this is incorrect approach.

--
methods

Borek, the discussion in your hyperlink in the post was interesting, and a little clearer than the discussion in the old analyitical textbook I read yesterday. Something almost like it was also shown in an old General Chemistry textbook. I have not seen much of that type of exercise for a long, long time.

In a way I am like an old analytical chemistry textbook :grumpy:

What is the formula for calculating pH?

The formula for calculating pH is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter.

What is KHP?

KHP, or potassium hydrogen phthalate, is a primary standard used in acid-base titrations. It is a strong monoprotic acid with a known molar mass and can be used to determine the concentration of a base in a solution.

How do I calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions from KHP?

To calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions, or [H+], from KHP, you will need to use the molar mass of KHP, the volume of the solution (in liters), and the number of moles of KHP used in the titration. You can then use the formula [H+] = moles of KHP / volume of solution (in liters).

What is the significance of 20.00 mL and 0.20 M in this question?

20.00 mL refers to the volume of the KHP solution being used in the titration. 0.20 M refers to the concentration of the KHP solution. These values are important in order to calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions and ultimately, the pH of the solution.

Why is it important to calculate the pH of a solution?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important to know the pH of a solution in order to understand its chemical properties and how it may react with other substances. In the case of this question, calculating the pH of the KHP solution can also help determine the concentration of a base in the titration.