Calculate the sum of the elements of the U4 set

In summary, the U set refers to the set of n-th roots of unity, denoted as U_{n}. For any polynomial equation where there is no "x" term, the sum of the roots must be 0, including the sum of the elements of the U set.
Taviii
I saw this problem in a book: calculate the sum of the elements of the U4 set.

The answer is 0, the elements of the sets being: 1, i, -1, -i.

My questions is: what's the U set? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this terminology [itex]U_{n}[/itex] refers to the set of the n-th roots of unity, i.e. all roots of the equation

[tex]x^{n} - 1 = 0[/tex]

So

[itex]U_{3}[/itex] = {1, [itex]\omega[/itex],[itex]\omega^2[/itex]}

Thank you!

Your explanation was very helpful.

If you multiply out (x-a1)(x-a2)...(x-an) the coefficient of x is easily seen to be -(a1+ a2+ ...+ an) so for any polynomial equation in which there is no "x" term, the sum of the roots must be 0. In particular, the sum of the roots of xn= 1 must be 0 for all n and so the sum of the elements of Un must be 0 for all n.

1. What is a U4 set?

A U4 set is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of elements that are all unique and have no repetition.

2. How do you calculate the sum of the elements of a U4 set?

To calculate the sum of the elements of a U4 set, you simply add all the elements together. Since there are no repeated elements, there is no need to account for duplicates.

3. Can the sum of the elements of a U4 set be negative?

Yes, the sum of the elements of a U4 set can be negative if the set contains negative numbers. The uniqueness of the elements does not affect the sign of the sum.

4. What is the significance of calculating the sum of the elements of a U4 set?

The sum of the elements of a U4 set can provide information about the overall magnitude or size of the set. It is also a useful calculation in various mathematical and statistical analyses.

5. Are there any special methods or formulas for calculating the sum of a U4 set?

No, there are no special methods or formulas for calculating the sum of a U4 set. The sum is simply the result of adding all the elements together.