Calculate the time to reach the floor in seconds

In summary: If d is distance then average speed, if displacement then average velocity.But my point is that the equation is not limited to constant speed/velocity. It always gives the average, but that can only be supposed to be the same as the instantaneous value if it is constant.
LokLe
Homework Statement
In the figure, a mass of 35.8 kg is attached to a light string that is wrapped around a cylindrical spool of radius 0.25m and moment of inertia 7.14 kg · m2. The spool is suspended from the ceiling, and the mass is then released from rest a distance 6.01 m above the floor. How long does it take to reach the floor in seconds?
Relevant Equations
KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf
v = d/t
?verifier=oxZPwzDPmaWt3jsx1dPV2pcoFlNNGYdLuVCwYL9C.jpg

r = 0.25m
I = 7.14kgm^2
h = 6.01m

Ei = Ef
mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2
2mgh = mv^2 + I(v^2/r^2)
2(35.8)(9.81)(6.01) = 35.8v^2 + 114.24v^2
v = 5.304 m/s

v = d/t
5.304 = 6.01/t
t = 1.133

(The correct answer is 2.2673. What did I do wrong?)

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
LokLe said:
v = d/t
That is the formula for average velocity, but you have calculated the final velocity.

Likes Delta2
LokLe said:
v = d/t
This equation relates speed to distance and time only if v is the same throughout the interval t. This is not the case here because the speed of the mass changes continuously.

Likes Delta2 and LokLe
kuruman said:
This equation relates speed to distance and time only if v is the same throughout the interval t. This is not the case here because the speed of the mass changes continuously.
I see. So the answer should be s = 1/2t(v+u)
6.01 = 1/2t(5.304)
t = 2.266s

Thank you for correcting my mistakes

Likes Delta2
LokLe said:
t = 2.266s
That’s too many significant digits given the precision of the input data.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
That’s too many significant digits given the precision of the input data.
Do you mean that it is still incorrect?

kuruman said:
This equation relates speed to distance and time only if v is the same throughout the interval t.
Or if v means the average velocity.

Likes Delta2
LokLe said:
Do you mean that it is still incorrect?
It is good practice not to use more significant digits than your input can justify. There is simply not enough precision in the input to claim you know the answer to a precision of a millisecond.

The methodology is correct.

Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
It is good practice not to use more significant digits than your input can justify. There is simply not enough precision in the input to claim you know the answer to a precision of a millisecond.

The methodology is correct.
Ok

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Or if v means the average velocity.
Did you mean average speed? In this particular example it doesn't matter, but in general I think that the symbol "d" stands for distance, not displacement, as in the mantra "speed is distance over time."

kuruman said:
Did you mean average speed? In this particular example it doesn't matter, but in general I think that the symbol "d" stands for distance, not displacement, as in the mantra "speed is distance over time."
If d is distance then average speed, if displacement then average velocity.
But my point is that the equation is not limited to constant speed/velocity. It always gives the average, but that can only be supposed to be the same as the instantaneous value if it is constant.

1. How do you calculate the time it takes to reach the floor in seconds?

The time it takes to reach the floor in seconds can be calculated using the formula t = sqrt(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the unit of measurement for the time to reach the floor?

The unit of measurement for the time to reach the floor is seconds (s).

3. Can the time to reach the floor be calculated for any height?

Yes, the time to reach the floor can be calculated for any height as long as the object is falling freely and there is no air resistance.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the time to reach the floor?

The mass of the object does not affect the time to reach the floor. The time to reach the floor is only dependent on the height and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Is there a difference in the time to reach the floor for different locations on Earth?

Yes, the time to reach the floor may vary slightly depending on the location on Earth due to variations in the acceleration due to gravity. However, these differences are negligible and the formula t = sqrt(2h/g) can still be used to calculate the time to reach the floor.