Conservation of mechanical energy

In summary, the equation v= √((2gh)/(1+.5(m/M)(r/R)^2)) is derived by applying conservation of mechanical energy to a system consisting of a hanging mass (m), a massless small cylinder (M), and a wheel (R) attached to the cylinder. The moment of inertia of the wheel is assumed to be MR^2. The equation can be rearranged to v= √((2gh)/(1+.5(M/m)(r/R)^2)) if the wheel is considered a uniform disc instead of a ring.
Anonymous123451234
New user has been reminded to fill out the Homework Help Template when starting a new schoolwork thread.
Derive equation v= √((2gh)/(1+.5(m/M)(r/R)^2)) by applying conservation of mechanical energy.

A string is attached to a hanging mass and wrapped around a small cylinder. The hanging mass is released from rest from an initial height (h) and accelerates to the floor. The theoretical velocity (v) of the hanging mass just before it strikes the floor can be determined by applying conservation of mechanical energy to the system.

v =velocity
m =hanging mass
M =mass of wheel
r =radius of wheel
R =radius of small cylinder
h =height

Ei=Ef
KEi+PEi = KEf+PEf
mgh = .5mv^2 + .5Iw^2
mgh = .5mv^2 + .5(.5Mr^2)(v/R)^2
2mgh = mv^2 + (M/2)(r^2/R^2)v^2
2mgh = (m + (M/2)(r^2/R^2)) v^2
√((2mgh)/(m + (M/2)(r^2/R^2))) = vWhat am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Firstly, please describe the problem in more detail. What do m, M, r, R and h stand for? In which situation you apply the conservation of mechanical energy?

1) You can divide both the numerator and the denominator (of the square root) by m.

2) Check if m and M are used correctly (seems like M is m and m is M).

DoItForYourself said:
Hello,

Firstly, please describe the problem in more detail. What do m, M, r, R and h stand for? In which situation you apply the conservation of mechanical energy?

1) You can divide both the numerator and the denominator (of the square root) by m.

2) Check if m and M are used correctly (seems like M is m and m is M).
I updated the post with more info but I think it's irrelevant.
The conservation of mechanical energy is KEi+PEi=KEf+PEf
KEi and PEf both equal 0
So I'm starting with the equation PEi = KEf or mgh = .5mv^2 + .5Iw^2

And I need to show work to rearrange it to v= √((2gh)/(1+.5(m/M)(r/R)^2))

I made a lower case m & r, and a capital M & R to show that they are different variables as I cannot to subscript on my computer.

Nice, this makes more sense. But I still have some questions:

1) Is the small cylinder initially in the same level with the hanging mass (h)?
2) The problem does not refer to a wheel. Is the wheel attached to the small cylinder? Or the wheel is the small cylinder?

I think that a sketch would help in this situation.

DoItForYourself said:
Is the small cylinder initially in the same level with the hanging mass (h)?
I cannot see that that matters. The mass descends by h, the wheel and cylinder do not.
DoItForYourself said:
The problem does not refer to a wheel. Is the wheel attached to the small cylinder? Or the wheel is the small cylinder?
I deduce that the cylinder is considered massless but is attached coaxially to a wheel.
Two things strike me as wrong, though.
1. The wheel is not described as a uniform disc, so I would have thought the moment of inertia was more like that of a ring, Mr2 (or MR2 - see 2 below).
2. Someone is confused between r and R. I suspect that these have been crossed over in the definitions. As it stands, the equation to be proved is wrong, and the attempt by anon is right (except for point 1).

haruspex said:
I cannot see that that matters. The mass descends by h, the wheel and cylinder do not.

I deduce that the cylinder is considered massless but is attached coaxially to a wheel.
Two things strike me as wrong, though.
1. The wheel is not described as a uniform disc, so I would have thought the moment of inertia was more like that of a ring, Mr2 (or MR2 - see 2 below).
2. Someone is confused between r and R. I suspect that these have been crossed over in the definitions. As it stands, the equation to be proved is wrong, and the attempt by anon is right (except for point 1).

Yes, this is absolutely right. The potential energy of wheel and cylinder will not be changed anyway.

I agree with the assumption that the small cylinder is massless.

1) If the wheel is a ring, does it have to be uniform in order for the moment of inertia to be Μr2?

2) If the wheel is a uniform disc, the equation to be proved is wrong only in terms of m and M (the ratio must be M/m). Right?

DoItForYourself said:
Nice, this makes more sense. But I still have some questions:

1) Is the small cylinder initially in the same level with the hanging mass (h)?
2) The problem does not refer to a wheel. Is the wheel attached to the small cylinder? Or the wheel is the small cylinder?

I think that a sketch would help in this situation.
Here's a diagram
20171117_090652.jpg

Attachments

• 20171117_090652.jpg
    20171117_090652.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 297
Figured it out , thanks for taking your time to help me!

20171117_093821.jpg

Attachments

• 20171117_093821.jpg
    20171117_093821.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 290
DoItForYourself said:
Yes, this is absolutely right. The potential energy of wheel and cylinder will not be changed anyway.

I agree with the assumption that the small cylinder is massless.

1) If the wheel is a ring, does it have to be uniform in order for the moment of inertia to be Μr2?

2) If the wheel is a uniform disc, the equation to be proved is wrong only in terms of m and M (the ratio must be M/m). Right?
Yes.

1. What is the law of conservation of mechanical energy?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy states that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is mechanical energy conserved?

Mechanical energy is conserved through the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. This means that as energy is transferred or converted from one form to another, the total amount of energy in the system remains the same.

3. What are the different forms of mechanical energy?

The two main forms of mechanical energy are potential energy and kinetic energy. Potential energy is stored energy that an object has due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

4. How does conservation of mechanical energy apply to real-world situations?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy applies to many real-world situations, such as a roller coaster moving from the top of a hill to the bottom, a pendulum swinging back and forth, or a ball rolling down a hill. In all of these cases, the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant.

5. What are some examples of non-conservative forces that affect mechanical energy?

Non-conservative forces, such as friction and air resistance, can cause a loss of mechanical energy in a system. For example, when a ball rolls down a hill, some of its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, but some is also lost due to friction with the ground. This results in a decrease in total mechanical energy in the system.