Calculate the wave number corresponding to the most energetic spectral line

  • Thread starter Thread starter atsum
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
atsum
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Calculate the wave number corresponding to the most energetic spectral line in the Lyman series for the hydrogen atom.
Express your answer to six significant figures and include the appropriate units.

I use the formula:
http://i.imgur.com/YgLVY.jpg

Because the question asks the most energetic one, so
[wave number = Rydberg's constant/h/c]
I got the answer10974214m-1
But the answer is wrong.
What's wrong with my calculation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
What makes you think the answer is wrong?

I did it in MasteringChemistry. It says the answer is wrong.
 
If you are given Rydberg's constant with three significant figures, you can't give the answer with eight.

Not that I am sure that's the problem, but it surely can be one.