Hydrogen Atom Photon Emission Wavelength Formula

In summary: M=m_e, so the Rydberg constant is approximately 1/2 of hydrogen. (This works out to the same as replacing ##m_e## by ##\mu##)
math_major_111
I am trying to calculate the Lyman-alpha wavelengths of photons emitted from different hydrogen-like atoms such as deuterium and positive helium ion 4He+, using the relation 1/λ = R*|1/ni^2 - 1/nf^2|, where R is the Rydberg constant and ni and nf are integer numbers corresponding to the initial and final energy levels, which, for Lyman-alpha wavelength, are 2 and 1, respectively. The expression for Rydberg constant is R = me/(4πħ3c)*(e2/4πε0)2.
My question is: what changes in these two expressions when we are dealing with different hydrogen-like atoms?replace electron mass me with new reduced mass μ? atomic number Z (but it is not included in any of the two expressions)?
Any help will be appreciated!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
See here!
Thank you Shyan! I know now that you have to multiply by the atomic number Z squared but the site does not explain how the Rydberg constant changes for different elements, or does it even change? :wideeyed:

Penemonie said:
Thank you Shyan! I know now that you have to multiply by the atomic number Z squared but the site does not explain how the Rydberg constant changes for different elements, or does it even change? :wideeyed:
It uses the same R in both equations!

Shyan said:
Thank you!

Shyan said:
Will there be no photon emitted if we are dealing with a positronium or muonium because there is no proton so the Z number is 0?

Penemonie said:
Will there be no photon emitted if we are dealing with a positronium or muonium because there is no proton so the Z number is 0?
The Rydberg formula is an experimental result devised by observing the spectrum of different atoms in a time when muons and positrons(and actually even electrons) where not known! So, as it is, you can't expect it to describe the spectrum of particles you mentioned as well. Maybe using quantum mechanics it can be shown that it actually does work for the particles you mentioned but that's another matter.

Yes, the Rydberg constant was originally an empirical value, determined by fitting to the measured values of the wavelengths of the hydrogen spectrum. The major triumph of Bohr's atomic model was that it predicted the value of R from more fundamental constants, as given by the formula in the first post. It can also be derived from the solution of Schrödinger's equation for the hydrogen atom.

For positronium or muonium you have to replace me with the reduced mass of the system (electron+positron or muon+proton or whatever), like you do for any other hydrogen-like system like He+, Li++, etc. (or even plain hydrogen itself).

For multiple-charge nuclei you consider the e2 to be (ee)(enuc) and replace enuc = Zee, so e2 becomes Ze2.

Shyan said:
The Rydberg formula is an experimental result devised by observing the spectrum of different atoms in a time when muons and positrons(and actually even electrons) where not known! So, as it is, you can't expect it to describe the spectrum of particles you mentioned as well. Maybe using quantum mechanics it can be shown that it actually does work for the particles you mentioned but that's another matter.
Thank you Shyan!

jtbell said:
Yes, the Rydberg constant was originally an empirical value, determined by fitting to the measured values of the wavelengths of the hydrogen spectrum. The major triumph of Bohr's atomic model was that it predicted the value of R from more fundamental constants, as given by the formula in the first post. It can also be derived from the solution of Schrödinger's equation for the hydrogen atom.

For positronium or muonium you have to replace me with the reduced mass of the system (electron+positron or muon+proton or whatever), like you do for any other hydrogen-like system like He+, Li++, etc. (or even plain hydrogen itself).

For multiple-charge nuclei you consider the e2 to be (ee)(enuc) and replace enuc = Zee, so e2 becomes Ze2.
That explains a lot! Thank you jtbell!

Shyan said:
You seem to imply that R doesn't depend on element or isotope, which is wrong. Maybe you meant something different, but I can see this statement confusing the OP, so I have to respond.

If you look here, it shows you that you have to make an adjustment for the reduced mass of the system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_constant
$$R_M = \frac{1}{1+m_e/M} R_\infty$$
M is the mass of the nucleus. Or in the case of positronium, M=m_e, so the Rydberg constant is approximately 1/2 of hydrogen. (This works out to the same as replacing ##m_e## by ##\mu##)

Khashishi said:
You seem to imply that R doesn't depend on element or isotope, which is wrong. Maybe you meant something different, but I can see this statement confusing the OP, so I have to respond.

If you look here, it shows you that you have to make an adjustment for the reduced mass of the system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_constant
$$R_M = \frac{1}{1+m_e/M} R_\infty$$
M is the mass of the nucleus. Or in the case of positronium, M=m_e, so the Rydberg constant is approximately 1/2 of hydrogen. (This works out to the same as replacing ##m_e## by ##\mu##)

Thank you for your help Khashishi!

1. What is the formula for calculating the wavelength of a photon emitted by a hydrogen atom?

The formula is represented as λ = hc/R(1/nf² - 1/ni²), where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, R is the Rydberg constant, and ni and nf are the initial and final energy levels of the electron in the hydrogen atom, respectively.

2. How is the Rydberg constant related to the emission of photons by a hydrogen atom?

The Rydberg constant (R) is a fundamental constant that relates the energies of the electron in a hydrogen atom to the wavelengths of photons it emits. It is used in the formula for calculating the wavelength of a photon emitted by a hydrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of the energy levels of electrons in the hydrogen atom?

The energy levels of electrons in the hydrogen atom represent the different states in which the electron can exist. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of a photon with a specific wavelength, which can be calculated using the formula mentioned above.

4. Can this formula be used for other atoms besides hydrogen?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the wavelength of photons emitted by a hydrogen atom. Each atom has its own unique set of energy levels and emission spectra, so different formulas would be needed for other atoms.

5. How was this formula for calculating the wavelength of a hydrogen atom's photon emission derived?

The formula was derived by combining the Bohr model of the atom, which describes the energy levels of electrons, with the wave-like nature of light. It was later refined by the Rydberg formula, which incorporates the Rydberg constant and more accurately predicts the emission spectra of hydrogen.