Calculate total energy surface tension

In summary, the conversation discussed the equilibrium states of a planar liquid-gas interface and a solid sphere partially immersed in liquid. The system energy was defined as the weighted sum of the interfacial areas, with the weights being constants for fixed materials. The conversation also touched on the use of surface tension and the neglect of buoyancy and gravity in determining the equilibrium states of the system.
member 428835

Homework Statement

Consider a planar liquid-gas interface and a solid sphere partially immersed in liquid. A fraction of the solid surface area is wet by the liquid, call it ##A_{sl}##. The complement of the solid’s area is ‘wet’ by the gas, say ##A_{sg}##. There is also an area of contact between liquid and gas ##A_{lg}## (make this finite by imagining a large cylindrical control volume). Define system energy ##E## to be the weighted sum of the interfacial areas. Call these weights ##\sigma_{sl}##, ##\sigma_{sg}##, and ##\sigma_{lg}##, respectively. Think of the weights as constants for fixed materials, having units energy/area. Find the equilibrium states -- those at which the energy is stationary, ##\delta E = 0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume the sphere is small enough that gravity and buoyancy are insignificant. Then an energy balance would be $$E = \cos\theta(\sigma_{sl}A_{sl}-\sigma_{sg}A_{sg})$$ where I define ##\theta## as the angle the sphere makes with the liquid at the point of contact. I feel I am missing more for the total energy balance though. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your ## \theta ## correctly, you are trying to say ## dA=R^2 sin(\theta) \, d \theta \, d \phi ## so that, upon integrating, ## A_{immersed}=2 \pi R^2 (1-cos(\theta)) ## and ## A_{above \, surface}=2 \pi R^2(1+cos(\theta)) ##. To work out energetically how well this object will float (with the surface tension included), you need to also include the immersed volume (the weight of the fluid displaced for the buoyant force=you can neglect gas buoyancy), and you need the downward gravitational force which is ## F_g= \delta V g ## where ## \delta ## is the density of the object. You can also write the immersed volume as a function of ## \theta ##, so that ## \theta ## can be the parameter that you solve for. The buoyant force and the gravitational force can be written in terms of their energy. For gravity, ## E=mgz ## where ## z=R cos(\theta)+Constant ##. For the buoyant energy, you can integrate ## \int F_{buoyant} \, dz ##. Anyway, hopefully this was helpful, and steers you in the right direction. (I haven't done the algebra myself to check to see if this will work, but I think it might.)

Charles Link said:
To work out energetically how well this object will float (with the surface tension included), you need to also include the immersed volume (the weight of the fluid displaced for the buoyant force=you can neglect gas buoyancy), and you need the downward gravitational force which is ## F_g= \delta V g ## where ## \delta ## is the density of the object. You can also write the immersed volume as a function of ## \theta ##, so that ## \theta ## can be the parameter that you solve for. The buoyant force and the gravitational force can be written in terms of their energy. For gravity, ## E=mgz ## where ## z=R cos(\theta)+Constant ##. For the buoyant energy, you can integrate ## \int F_{buoyant} \, dz ##. Anyway, hopefully this was helpful, and steers you in the right direction. (I haven't done the algebra myself to check to see if this will work, but I think it might.)
Thanks for replying Charles Link! Actually, this sphere is very small so we are asked (my the professor) to ignore buoyancy and gravity and just consider surface tension. The Bond number is sufficiently small so viscous terms dominate over gravity. You are correct regarding the description of the areas!

Likes Charles Link

What is total energy surface tension?

Total energy surface tension is a measure of the energy required to increase the surface area of a liquid by a unit amount. It is a property that describes the strength of the forces between molecules at the surface of a liquid, and is important in determining the shape and behavior of liquid droplets.

How is total energy surface tension calculated?

Total energy surface tension is typically calculated by multiplying the surface tension of a liquid by the surface area of the liquid. This results in a value with units of energy per unit area, such as joules per square meter. The surface tension of a liquid can be measured experimentally or calculated using theoretical models.

What factors affect total energy surface tension?

Total energy surface tension is affected by several factors, including the type of liquid, temperature, and the presence of impurities. Different liquids have different surface tensions due to variations in intermolecular forces. Temperature can also affect surface tension, as warmer liquids tend to have lower surface tension. Impurities can disrupt the cohesive forces between molecules, resulting in a decrease in surface tension.

Why is total energy surface tension important?

Total energy surface tension is important in many applications, such as in the formation of bubbles, droplets, and wetting of surfaces. It also plays a role in capillary action, which is the ability of a liquid to flow against gravity. In biological systems, surface tension is important for the functioning of cell membranes and the movement of fluids within the body.

How is total energy surface tension used in industry?

Total energy surface tension is used in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and food and beverage. It is crucial in the production of emulsions, foams, and suspensions, as well as in coating and cleaning processes. Understanding and controlling surface tension allows for the efficient and effective production of these products. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as self-cleaning surfaces and microfluidic devices.