Calculate Wavelength Without Frequency

In summary, to calculate wavelength without frequency, you can use the formula: Wavelength = speed of light / frequency. However, it is not possible to calculate wavelength without knowing the frequency as both variables are needed. Calculating wavelength is important as it helps us understand waves and is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy. Wavelength is typically measured in meters or nanometers, while frequency is measured in hertz or cycles per second.
bbbbb
Homework Statement
A ray of light from the sun strikes the windshield of a car at an angle of incidence of 36.0° and refracts at an angle of 24.0°. If the initial light had a wavelength of 630 nm, determine the wavelength of the light after it has refracted.
Relevant Equations
n1sintheta1=n2sintheta2
n1sintheta1=n2sintheta2
1*sin36=n2sin24
n2=sin36/sin24
n2= 1.45
to calculate wavelength is lambda=c/f
My question is that that how do I find the wavelength without given the frequency.

Physics news on Phys.org
bbbbb said:
My question is that that how do I find the wavelength without given the frequency.

You already have the frequency. It's the same frequency both before and after the light enters n2.

so i will do f=c/wavelength
Then to find lamda2= c/f.
So I am not using the angles given.

1. How do I calculate the wavelength without knowing the frequency?

To calculate the wavelength without knowing the frequency, you can use the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. The speed of light is a constant value of 3.00 x 10^8 m/s.

2. Can I use the same formula to calculate the wavelength of all types of waves?

Yes, the formula wavelength = speed of light / frequency can be used to calculate the wavelength of all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves and sound waves.

3. What units should I use when calculating wavelength without frequency?

The units for wavelength are typically meters (m) or nanometers (nm). The units for frequency are typically hertz (Hz) or cycles per second (cps). Make sure to use consistent units when using the formula.

4. Is there a way to estimate the wavelength without using the formula?

Yes, if you know the type of wave you are dealing with, you can use the known wavelength range for that type of wave. For example, visible light has a wavelength range of 400-700 nm, so you can estimate the wavelength of a visible light wave within that range.

5. Can I calculate the wavelength without frequency for a wave with multiple frequencies?

No, the formula wavelength = speed of light / frequency only works for waves with a single frequency. If you have a wave with multiple frequencies, you will need to use a different formula or calculate the average frequency first.