Calculate Wheat Field Yields: Mean of 10 Tons/Acre with 2 SD - Practice Problem

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter taffyleg
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
taffyleg
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
For a sample of 100 wheat fields, the mean yield was 10 tons/acre and the standard deviation 2. Approximately how many fields out of the 100 should have yields in the 8 to 12 ton range? Show work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm hoping the answer is 68. I don't understand at what point you differentiate between multiplying by 95.4% or 68.3%.
 
taffyleg said:
I'm hoping the answer is 68. I don't understand at what point you differentiate between multiplying by 95.4% or 68.3%.

68.3% the the area under the normal curve within 1 standard deviation; 95.4% is the area under the normal curve within 2 standard deviations.

Since the question gives you 1 standard deviation in either direction, your answer is correct. 95 fields would be the correct answer if they asked for the numbr with 6 to 14 tons.