Calculating a matrix element & first order shift

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of operators on Hilbert space and their impact on the resulting equations. The main point of confusion is the value of A|n>, which is eventually determined to be sqrt(n)|n-1>. The conversation also includes the solution to a problem using [a,a(+)] = 1.
StephvsEinst
So I saw this a moment ago:
Sem Título.png

How can the second and third terms yield (n+1)+(n-1)=2n and not (n+1)+n=2n+1?
PS: I solved the problem by using [a,a(+)]=1.

Sorry, this is very simple but I cannot figure out what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what A|n> is equal to. This is very important, since (dropping the finesse of domain issues linked to unbounded operators on Hilbert space)

[tex] \langle n, A^{\dagger} A n\rangle = \langle A^{\dagger\dagger} n, A n\rangle = \langle A n, A n\rangle [/tex]

[tex] \langle n, A A^{\dagger} n\rangle = \langle A^{\dagger} n, A^{\dagger} n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1}^2 = n+1 [/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you, I understood your answer: simple and pratical.
Here, A|n> is equal to sqrt(n)|n-1> and A(+)|n> is equal to sqrt(n+1)|n+1>.

PS: Sorry for not using the math font but I am too lazy right now to insert it in latex.

1. What is a matrix element?

A matrix element is a numerical value that represents the connection between two states in a quantum mechanical system. It is calculated using the wavefunctions of the states and the corresponding operators.

2. How is a matrix element calculated?

A matrix element is calculated by taking the inner product of the two wavefunctions involved, multiplied by the corresponding operator. This is represented by the integral of the product of the two wavefunctions over all space.

3. What is a first order shift in a matrix element?

A first order shift in a matrix element refers to the change in its value due to a small perturbation in the system. This can be caused by external factors such as an electric or magnetic field.

4. How is the first order shift calculated?

The first order shift in a matrix element is calculated by taking the difference between the original matrix element and the matrix element with the perturbation included. This is then divided by the magnitude of the perturbation.

5. What is the significance of calculating matrix elements and first order shifts?

Calculating matrix elements and first order shifts is important in understanding the behavior of quantum mechanical systems and predicting their response to external influences. This information is crucial in various fields such as quantum chemistry, condensed matter physics, and quantum information processing.