Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Basis of Tangent Plane

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    I've looked at this topic for a while and I have yet to come to any sort of conclusive answer when it comes to calculating the basis of a surface's tangent vector. Do you have a concrete method or know where I can find one for doing this?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "the" basis. Any vector space has an infinite number of bases. If a surface is given by f(x, y, z)= Constant, then the normal vector to the surface is [itex]\nabla f[/itex] so the tangent plane at [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] is give by [itex]\nabla(x_0, y_0, z_0)\cdot <x- x_0, y- y_0, z- z_0>= 0[/itex]. You can get one vector in that tangent plane by taking y= y_0, x= x_0+ 1 and another, independent vector so they form a basis, by taking x= x_0, y= y_0+ 1.

For example, if the surface is given by [itex]x^2yz= 1[/itex] then the normal vector at any point is [itex]<2xyz, x^2z, x^2y>. At (1, 1, 1) that would be <2, 1, 1>. The tangent plane there is 2(x- 1)+ y- 1+ z- 1= 0 or 2x+ y+ z= 4. if x= 2, y= 1, then 4+ 1+ z= 1 so z= -1. The point (2, 1, -1) is also in that plane so the vector <2- 1, 1- 1, 1-(-1)>= <1, 0, 2> lies in that tangent plane. If x= 1, y= 2, then 2(0)+ 1+ z= 4 so z= 3. The point (1, 2, 3) is also in that tangent plane so the vector <1- 1, 2- 1, 3-(-1)>= <0, 1, 4> lies in that tangent plane. The two vectors <1, 0, 2> and <0, 1, 4> are two independent vectors in thet tangent plane and so form a basis.

4. Feb 13, 2014 #3
    HallsofIvy, thanks for the response! Sorry my question was sort of ambivalent. By 'the' basis, I meant 'a' basis. That's a very concise and helpful explanation.

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook