Calculating Cat Power: How to Find Horsepower Output

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
freak_boy186
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 4.50 cat leaps from the floor to the top of a 97.0-cm-high table. If the cat pushes against the floor for 0.230 to accomplish this feat, what was her average power output during the pushoff period? Answer in terms of horsepower.


Homework Equations


W = Fdx
F = ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not even sure where to start
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much energy did the push give the cat? Do you know the equation for gravitational potential energy?
 
No, I"m not sure what the equation for gravitational potential energy is...
 
nevermind! I figured it out!

P.E. = 9.8(4.5)(.97) = 42.777J

42.777/.23 = 185.987W

& 746W = 1hp

185.987/746 = .249hp