Calculating combinations and permutations on a TI-36 Solar Calculator?

In summary, To calculate combinations and permutations on a Texas Instruments TI-36 Solar calculator, first press the first number, then press the "a" button, followed by the second number and the "b" button. Then, press the "2nd" button and finally, for combinations, press the "nCr" button or for permutations, press the "nPr" button.
moonman239
My mom has a Texas Instruments TI-36 Solar calculator. A few days ago I found that there are functions for calculating combinations and permutations. The trouble is I can't seem to figure out how to use them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an old TI-36 myself (still working great after many years). To calculate C(5,3):

1. Press 5
2. Press a
3. Press 3
4. Press b
5. Press 2nd
6. Press nCr

Permutations are similar, but press nPr at step 6.

awkward said:
I have an old TI-36 myself (still working great after many years). To calculate C(5,3):

1. Press 5
2. Press a
3. Press 3
4. Press b
5. Press 2nd
6. Press nCr

Permutations are similar, but press nPr at step 6.

Hey, thanks!

What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both ways of counting the number of possible arrangements of a set of objects. The main difference between the two is that combinations do not take into account the order of the objects, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are used when the order of the objects does not matter, while permutations are used when the order does matter.

How do I use a TI-36 Solar Calculator to calculate combinations?

To calculate combinations on a TI-36 Solar Calculator, you will need to use the nCr function. This function is located in the MATH menu, under the PRB tab. Enter the total number of objects (n), followed by the combination symbol (C), and then the number of objects you want to choose (r). Press the ENTER key and the calculator will display the number of combinations.

How do I use a TI-36 Solar Calculator to calculate permutations?

To calculate permutations on a TI-36 Solar Calculator, you will need to use the nPr function. This function is also located in the MATH menu, under the PRB tab. Enter the total number of objects (n), followed by the permutation symbol (P), and then the number of objects you want to choose (r). Press the ENTER key and the calculator will display the number of permutations.

Can I use a TI-36 Solar Calculator to calculate combinations and permutations with repeating objects?

Yes, the TI-36 Solar Calculator can also calculate combinations and permutations with repeating objects. To do this, you will need to use the nCr and nPr functions, but with an additional parameter. After entering the total number of objects, the combination or permutation symbol, and the number of objects you want to choose, press the right arrow key to access the third parameter. Enter the number of times each object is repeated and then press the ENTER key to get the final result.

Are there any limitations to calculating combinations and permutations on a TI-36 Solar Calculator?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a TI-36 Solar Calculator for calculating combinations and permutations. The calculator has a maximum number of 69 digits for the input values, which means it can only handle calculations for smaller sets of objects. Additionally, the calculator only displays up to 10 digits for the result, so larger values may be rounded or displayed in scientific notation.