Calculating decay rates for modes of a circular membrane

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the theoretical relative decay rates of (m,n) modes of an ideal circular membrane when excited by an impulse or deformation. The goal is to find the decay rates in dB/s and an equation that takes into account the excitation position and damping coefficient. The suggested method involves using plate theory to generate a PDE and solving for eigenmodes. However, the website provided for the damped wave equation does not account for frequency/mode dependent per-partial damping and may not accurately represent the decay of the membrane. The individual is looking for a better way to calculate the decay rates and improve the damped wave equation.
mikejm
I am trying to solve for the theoretical relative decay rates of the various (m,n) modes of an ideal circular membrane, if that membrane is excited momentarily by an impulse or deformation.

I would ideally like the decays of the (m,n) modes in dB/s.

Imagine a simple isolated drum head being struck by a stick. The membrane should be considered fixed with even tension around its perimeter. The excitation impulse/deformation should be at its center or x*radius from its center.

Someone on another site said of this problem:

If the air damps it linearly enough, you can probably solve it analytically. Use plate theory to generate a PDE, then work out all the eigenmodes. The decay rate will be determined by the real components of the eigenvalues, and can be converted into dBs-1 using a few logs.

The wave equation for modes of an ideal circular membrane is given by:
HqpEmjv.png

The full wave equations are described/explained further in these documents:

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~nagata/sci1/drum.pdf
https://courses.physics.illinois.ed...P406POM_Lecture_Notes/P406POM_Lect4_Part2.pdf
http://ramanujan.math.trinity.edu/rdaileda/teach/s12/m3357/lectures/lecture_3_29.pdf

I can use the Bessel zeros to calculate the frequencies of the various (m,n) modes and have done so already. However, I am unsure how to get the decay rates for these modes as he describes.

Does the method he suggests make sense? If so, can anyone elaborate further on how I would go about doing this? Or is there a better way?

Ideally I'd like an equation I can put in (m,n) for, plus perhaps an arbitrary constant damping coefficient, and get the decay of that mode in dB/s. If the decay rate of any mode might vary depending on the point of excitation, some way to specify for excitation position might be useful.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• HqpEmjv.png
    HqpEmjv.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to find a website summarizing a damped wave equation for a circular membrane here:
Image12.gif

where u is the amplitude of vibration of the membrane, r and
Image6.gif
are polar coordinates of membrane, a is the damping factor, c is the speed of a wave on the membrane.

http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/drum/

However, the membrane simulation sounds terrible (audio clips at the end of that site) because they aren't employing the proper frequency/mode dependent per-partial damping that occurs in nature.

As far as I can tell, this is just damping all the modes equally over time, which is useless.

Am I understanding this correctly, and if so, is there any obvious way to improve this and get a more representative damped wave equation?

Attachments

• Image12.gif
    Image12.gif
    1 KB · Views: 379
  • Image6.gif
    Image6.gif
    75 bytes · Views: 377

1. How do you calculate the decay rate for modes of a circular membrane?

In order to calculate the decay rate for modes of a circular membrane, you will need to use the formula: decay rate = 1 / (2 * pi * frequency * quality factor). This formula takes into account the frequency of the mode and the quality factor, which represents the rate at which energy dissipates in the system.

2. What is the significance of calculating decay rates for modes of a circular membrane?

Calculating decay rates for modes of a circular membrane can provide valuable information about the vibrational behavior of the membrane. It can help in understanding how energy is transferred and dissipated in the system, and can aid in the design and optimization of circular membrane structures.

3. How does the size of the circular membrane affect the decay rate of its modes?

The size of the circular membrane can have an impact on the decay rate of its modes. Generally, larger membranes tend to have higher decay rates, as there is more surface area for energy to dissipate. However, this can also depend on the material properties and boundary conditions of the membrane.

4. Can the decay rate of a mode be altered or controlled?

Yes, the decay rate of a mode can be altered or controlled through various means. For example, changing the material properties of the membrane or adjusting the boundary conditions can affect the decay rate. Additionally, adding damping materials or using active control techniques can also alter the decay rate.

5. How does the decay rate of a circular membrane mode affect the sound produced?

The decay rate of a circular membrane mode can have a significant impact on the sound produced. A higher decay rate means that the sound will dissipate more quickly, resulting in a shorter sustained sound. On the other hand, a lower decay rate can result in a longer sustained sound. This is an important factor to consider in musical instruments and sound systems.