1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating deceleration .need quick help, please

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    Calculating deceleration.....need quick help, please

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Traumatic brain injury such as concussion results when the head undergoes a very large acceleration. Generally, an acceleration less than 800 m/s2 lasting for any length of time will not cause injury, whereas an acceleration greater than 1000 m/s2 lasting for at least 1 ms will cause injury. Suppose a small child rolls off a bed that is 0.36 m above the floor. If the floor is hardwood, the child's head is brought to rest in approximately 2.1 mm. If the floor is carpeted, this stopping distance is increased to about 1.1 cm. Calculate the magnitude and duration of the deceleration in both cases, to determine the risk of injury. Assume that the child remains horizontal during the fall to the floor. Note that a more complicated fall could result in a head velocity greater or less than the speed you calculate.

2. Relevant equations

I used v(final) = v(initial) + at ------> equ 1

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for initial velocity using

final v (0) = initial v + 2 a delta x

and then substituted that in equ 1. But apparently my answer is wrong.

Any advice is greatly greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Re: Calculating deceleration.....need quick help, please

Hi niisama, welcome to PF.

inal v (0) = initial v + 2 a delta x

This equation should be

initial v^2 (0) = initial v^2 + 2 a delta x

Now work out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook