Head Fall Acceleration Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of acceleration on traumatic brain injury and applies it to a scenario involving a small child falling off a bed. The question at hand is to calculate the magnitude and duration of deceleration in both a hardwood and carpeted floor to determine the risk of injury. The individual initially expresses difficulty with the problem and eventually decides to seek help from others.
diesel828
Hello,
I'm not particularly looking for the answers in this problem as much as I am looking for the method to the solution. It's been giving me a headache.

1. Traumatic brain injury such as concussion results when the head undergoes a very large acceleration. Generally, an acceleration less than 800 m/s^2 lasting for any length of time will not cause injury, whereas an acceleration greater than 1,000 m/s^2 lasting for at least 1 ms will cause injury. Suppose a small child rolls off a bed that is 0.40 m above the floor. If the floor is hardwood, the child's head is brought to rest in approsimately 2.0mm. If the floor is carpeted, this stopping distance is increased to about 1.0 cm. Calculate the magnitude and the duration of the deceleration in both cases to determine risk of injury.

Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
One is suppose to show ones efforts before asking for help...:smile:

Oh. Well, I took my best stab at it and turned it in. I'm going to wait and see how I did. The problem really gave me a headache for some reason. Similar questions weren't so bad. Maybe it was the image of a baby falling off a bed? I don't know.
I'll post my results.

Traumatic injuries? Small children rolling off their beds? This is the third or fourth time someone posts such interesting mechanical problems. :confused:

1. What is head fall acceleration?

Head fall acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's head moves towards the ground when it falls. It is a measure of how quickly the velocity of the head changes during a fall.

2. How is head fall acceleration calculated?

Head fall acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. In simpler terms, it is the change in speed divided by the time it takes to change.

3. What factors affect head fall acceleration?

The factors that affect head fall acceleration include the height from which the object falls, the mass and shape of the object, and the presence of air resistance. Gravity is the primary factor that determines the acceleration during a fall.

4. Why is head fall acceleration important to study?

Understanding head fall acceleration is important for assessing the potential for head injuries during falls. It can also help researchers and engineers design safety measures, such as helmets, to reduce the risk of head injuries.

5. How can head fall acceleration be reduced?

The most effective way to reduce head fall acceleration is by decreasing the height from which an object falls. Other ways include using safety equipment such as helmets, and improving the landing surface to absorb some of the impact.