Calculating density Archimedes principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of density for three objects. The formula for density in chemistry is mass divided by volume, but the person is unsure of how to calculate it in this situation. They are then given options for finding the volume of the objects, including using the radius and length of a cylinder or physically measuring with a ruler. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use the force of buoyancy to calculate the volume.
noname1
I have to calculate the density of these 3 objects and these are the values i obtained but now i am confused how i can calculate the density of them.

I know that in chemistry density is mass / volume but in this case i am not sure, can anyone tell me the formula?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the volume of the sphere then you should be able to use [tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

If you don't have the volume but have the radius and length of the cylinder then you can work out volume.

If you don't have the radii of the cylinders or their length then get out your ruler =]

Cilabitaon said:
If you know the volume of the sphere then you should be able to use [tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

If you don't have the volume but have the radius and length of the cylinder then you can work out volume.

If you don't have the radii of the cylinders or their length then get out your ruler =]

we don't have any measurements of the objects, that's why i find it complicated

I see that you've already calculated the force of buoyancy on the objects. Fb=rho*g*V where rho is the density of water, so you can easily calculate the objects' volume.

1. What is Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is used to calculate the density of objects.

2. How do you calculate density using Archimedes principle?

To calculate density using Archimedes principle, you need to measure the weight of the object in air (WA) and then in water (WW). The difference between these two weights (WA - WW) is equal to the weight of the water that the object displaces. Then, using the formula density = mass/volume, you can calculate the density of the object by dividing its mass by the volume of water displaced.

3. What is the unit of measurement for density?

Density is typically measured in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) in the metric system and pounds per cubic inch (lbs/in3) in the imperial system.

4. Can Archimedes principle be used to calculate the density of all objects?

No, Archimedes principle can only be used to calculate the density of objects that are able to float in water. Objects that are too dense to float, such as rocks, will not displace enough water and the principle cannot be applied.

5. How is Archimedes principle related to the concept of buoyancy?

Archimedes principle is directly related to the concept of buoyancy, which is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is immersed in it. This principle explains why certain objects float or sink in water and is the basis for calculating the density of objects.