1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating density Archimedes principle

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    I have to calculate the density of these 3 objects and these are the values i obtained but now i am confused how i can calculate the density of them.

I know that in chemistry density is mass / volume but in this case i am not sure, can anyone tell me the formula?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2
    If you know the volume of the sphere then you should be able to use [tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]

If you don't have the volume but have the radius and length of the cylinder then you can work out volume.

If you don't have the radii of the cylinders or their length then get out your ruler =]

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    we dont have any measurements of the objects, thats why i find it complicated

5. Apr 4, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I see that you've already calculated the force of buoyancy on the objects. Fb=rho*g*V where rho is the density of water, so you can easily calculate the objects' volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook