Density of floating object 14% submerged in water at 0°C

  • Thread starter Thread starter trickymax301
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
trickymax301
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I believe I have correct answer, but I'd just like to confirm with others...

Question: What is the density of an object that is 14% submerged when floating in water at 0 degrees C?

density of water at 0 degrees C = 999.87, according to my book

So the formula I set up is...

((density of object)/(density of liquid)) x 100 = % submerged

Filling in the blanks...

((density of object)/(999.87)) x 100 = 14%

Divide the 14 by 100...

((density of object)/(999.87)) = .14

Multiply the density of water by .14 ...

(999.87)(.14) = 139.9818 = density of object

Have I solved this correctly? Thanks for looking this over!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK except you do not multiply the density ratio by 100. You multiply by 100% = 100/100 = 1. When you divide 14% by 100 you get .0014. That is not what you did (fortunately). You divided 14% by 100% and got .14