Calculating Displacement of a Diver in Free Fall

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
pookisantoki
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
The velocity of a diver just before hitting the water is -10.2m/s, where the minus sign indicated that her motion is directly downward. What is her displacement during the last 1.10sec of the dive?

I tried to use dthe x=1/2(Vinitial + Vfinal)t=40.8 but it's wrong, what am i doing wrong??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the full question? Whats the Vinitial you used?
 
Initial velocity, final velocity and g is known. From these you can find displacement d1 and time t.
Then find the displacement d2 for time (t - 1.10 s).
(d1 - d2) will be the required answer.
 
I tried to solve this the way you wrote but I must have messed up along the way because, my answer isn't matching up
So i setted up where t=-10.2/-9.8
t=1.0408

y1=1/2(-10.2)*1.0408
y1=5.30808m

t2=1.0408-1.10
t2=-.0592

y2=1/2*-10.2*.0592
Y2=.30192

Displacement=5.30808-.30192=5.00616

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thank you