Calculating Distance and Variables for a Plaster of Paris Cannon

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mrkrupa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cannon Variables
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
mrkrupa
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
I have a cannon that fires blocks of plaster of paris

what are the basic formulaes that i need in order to be able to calculate the angle in order to shoot a projectile a specified distance. I want to take as many variables into account such as air density and so forth (please give values) so that i can set up my cannon and shoot it into a target area

Is there any Formulaes and variables that i need to account for to do this


I am not asking anyone to do my math and physics for me i just want the basic stepping stones


Thanks Ski

PS I really love being able to figure out problems like these it makes me feel like an engineer and if i was not going into the Air Force as a Pararescueman I would consider a field like this
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Most people learn this when they study from University Physics, by Sears, Zemansky, & Young, the edition which includes mechanics, heat, & sound. You need to understand some simple Calculus, the intermediate level of Algebra, and some Trigonometry.
 
Obviously but i was wondering if i could get a few formulas and a couple explanations

I know of one way that I can do it quadraticaly but I don't understand the others