Calculating Distance and Variables for a Plaster of Paris Cannon

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the angle and variables needed to shoot a projectile a specified distance using a cannon. The speaker mentions the need for understanding basic math and physics principles, such as calculus, algebra, and trigonometry. They also mention using formulas and equations from a textbook on university physics. The speaker expresses their interest in problem-solving and engineering, but clarifies that they are not asking for someone to do the calculations for them.
mrkrupa
I have a cannon that fires blocks of plaster of paris

what are the basic formulaes that i need in order to be able to calculate the angle in order to shoot a projectile a specified distance. I want to take as many variables into account such as air density and so forth (please give values) so that i can set up my cannon and shoot it into a target area

Is there any Formulaes and variables that i need to account for to do this

I am not asking anyone to do my math and physics for me i just want the basic stepping stones

Thanks Ski

PS I really love being able to figure out problems like these it makes me feel like an engineer and if i was not going into the Air Force as a Pararescueman I would consider a field like this

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Most people learn this when they study from University Physics, by Sears, Zemansky, & Young, the edition which includes mechanics, heat, & sound. You need to understand some simple Calculus, the intermediate level of Algebra, and some Trigonometry.

Obviously but i was wondering if i could get a few formulas and a couple explanations

I know of one way that I can do it quadraticaly but I don't understand the others

Related to Calculating Distance and Variables for a Plaster of Paris Cannon

1. How do I calculate the distance a plaster of Paris cannon can shoot?

To calculate the distance a plaster of Paris cannon can shoot, you will need to know the initial velocity and angle of launch. You can use the equation d = v2sin(2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the gravitational constant. Keep in mind that this equation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account air resistance or other factors that may affect the actual distance.

2. What variables affect the distance a plaster of Paris cannon can shoot?

The variables that affect the distance a plaster of Paris cannon can shoot include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, wind speed, and the weight and shape of the projectile. These variables can be adjusted to optimize the distance and accuracy of the cannon's shot.

3. Can I use different types of projectiles with a plaster of Paris cannon?

Yes, you can use different types of projectiles with a plaster of Paris cannon. However, the weight and shape of the projectile can affect the distance and accuracy of the cannon's shot. It is important to test and adjust these variables to find the optimal combination for your chosen projectile.

4. How do I ensure safety when using a plaster of Paris cannon?

Safety should always be a top priority when using any type of cannon. Make sure to follow all safety precautions and guidelines, including wearing protective gear and keeping a safe distance from the cannon during launch. It is also important to use the appropriate amount of force when loading and launching the cannon to avoid any accidents or injuries.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of a plaster of Paris cannon?

To improve the accuracy of a plaster of Paris cannon, it is important to carefully measure and adjust the initial velocity and angle of launch. Additionally, using a stable and consistent launching platform, minimizing air resistance, and using a well-shaped projectile can also help improve accuracy. Regular testing and adjustments can also help improve the overall performance of the cannon.