1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating div(theta) and tangent curves

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate ∇Θ where [tex]Θ(x)=\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}{r^3}[/tex]. Here [tex]\vec{p}[/tex] is a constant vector and [tex]r=|\vec{x}|[/tex]. In addition, sketch the tangent curves of the vector function ∇Θ for [tex]\vec{p}=p\hat{z}[/tex]

(b) Calculate [tex]∇ (cross) A → \vec{A}=\frac{\vec{m}x\vec{X}}{r^3}[/tex] m is constant vector. Sketch the tangent curves of ∇(cross)A for [tex]\vec{m}=m\hat{z}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

gradient vector

3. The attempt at a solution

Well when I apply the gradient vector to the function Θ I get many terms and a very ugly answer. I am not sure if this will clean up nicely? Is there an easier way of doing this then brute force? Also, I am not sure how to represent the tangent curve of the vector function [tex]\vec{p}=p\hat{z}[/tex] or [tex]\vec{m}=m\hat{z}[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Sometimes the Ricci calculus is easier than the nabla calculus. BTW: Both questions are not about div but about grad and curl.

For the first problem you have to calculate (Einstein summation convention implied)

[tex]\partial_j \Theta=\partial_j \left ( \frac{p_k x_k}{r^3} \right ).[/tex]
    This is now just the task to take the partial derivatives using the usual rules for differentiation (product rule in this case).

For the second problem note that
    [tex](\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A})_j = \epsilon_{jkl} \partial_k A_l,[/tex]
    where [itex]\epsilon_{jkl}[/itex] is the Levi-Civita symbol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted