Vector Potential of a Rotating Mangetic Dipole

In summary, the problem involves finding the vector potential and magnetic field at a point along the z-axis due to a rotating magnetic dipole with given time-dependent magnetic dipole moment. Using the equations for the vector potential and magnetic field, the expressions for both quantities are derived and found to depend on the distance from the dipole along the z-axis. The induced electric field is then found using Faraday's law, with the help of the separation vector and the time derivative of the magnetic field. In the end, an alternative approach using the equation E = -∇V - (∂A/∂t) is suggested as a possible solution.
allison west

Homework Statement

A rotating magnetic dipole is built by two oscillating magnetic dipole moments, one along the y-axis and one along the x-axis. Find the vector potential at a point: (0, 0, ##z_0##) along the z-axis. Then find the magnetic field at ##z_0## . As the magnetic field is a function of time, determine the induced Electric field from Faraday's laws. The magnetic dipole moment is given as a function of time as (##m_0## is a constant)
## \vec m ## = ##m_0 [cos(\omega t) \hat x + sin(\omega t) \hat y]##

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r) = \frac {\mu_0} {4 \pi} \frac 1 {r^3} \vec m \times \vec r##

##\vec B = \vec \nabla \times \vec A##

Induced electric field, Faraday's law:

##\vec E = \frac 1 {4 \pi}## ## \int ## ##[({\frac {\partial \vec B} {\partial t}} {\times \mathcal {\hat r}})## ##\frac 1 {\mathcal {r^2}}]##

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I am given the magnetic dipole moment, I attempted to find the vector potential by taking the cross product of ##\vec m## with ##\vec r##. I took ##\vec r## to be: ##{<x \hat x, y \hat y, z \hat z>}## which
After taking the cross product I got:

##\vec m \times \vec r = m_0 z sin(\omega t) \hat x - m_0 z cos(\omega t) \hat y + (m_0 cos(\omega t) y - m_0 sin(\omega t) x) \hat z##

Since I'm taking the potential at the point (0, 0, ##z_0##) I think I put that into the cross product which would mean my vector potential would be equal to:

##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r) = (\frac { \mu_0 m_0 z_0} {4 \pi r^3})(sin(\omega t) \hat x - cos(\omega t) \hat y)##

I'm not entirely sure that this is right but when I try to take the cross product of ##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r)## to find the magnetic field, I came up with:

##\vec \nabla \times \vec A_{dip} =(\frac { \mu_0 m_0 z_0} {4 \pi r^3}) (2cos(\omega t) \hat x + 2sin(\omega t) \hat y)##

which has no dependence on the z coordinate. I'm wondering if I maybe approached this problem wrong? Help would be much appreciated thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
allison west said:
... which has no dependence on the z coordinate.
I am not sure what you mean. Isn't there a z0 in your expression? It looks like you have a 1/z02 dependence because of the r3 in the denominator.

kuruman said:
I am not sure what you mean. Isn't there a z0 in your expression? It looks like you have a 1/z02 dependence because of the r3 in the denominator.

Okay that seems to be what I was missing, I was not inputting ##z_0## back into my definition for ##\vec r##. By putting that into the equation I got:

##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r) = (\frac { \mu_0 m_0 } {4 \pi z_0^2})(sin(\omega t) \hat x - cos(\omega t) \hat y)##

and

##\vec B = \vec \nabla \times \vec A##

##\vec B = (\frac { \mu_0 m_0 } {2 \pi z_0^3})(cos(\omega t) \hat x + sin(\omega t) \hat y)##

I believe this makes more sense.

To find the induced Electric field I have to take the time derivative of the magnetic field and cross it with ##\vec R## (the separation vector) I use a capitol R to distinguish it from the other r vectors used above.

##\vec E = \frac 1 {4 \pi}## ## \int ## ##[({\frac {\partial \vec B} {\partial t}} {\times \mathcal {\vec R}})## ##\frac 1 {\mathcal {r^2}}]##

##\vec R = \vec r - \vec r'##

##\vec R = < (x-x') \hat x, (y-y') \hat y, (z-z') \hat z > ##

I'm fairly sure that (x, y, z) is equal to (0, 0, ##z_0##) the field point, which makes (x', y', z') the source point?

Can't we simply use the equation ##E=-\nabla V-\frac{\partial A}{\partial t}## for this problem V seems to be zero or spatially constant since there are no free charge densities.

Delta² said:
Can't we simply use the equation ...
That should work.

kuruman said:
That should work.
Thanks for the help!

1. What is a rotating magnetic dipole?

A rotating magnetic dipole refers to a magnetic source that is spinning about an axis, creating a magnetic field that varies with time. This can be observed in objects such as rotating planets, stars, and even subatomic particles.

2. What is the vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole?

The vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field created by the dipole. It is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at any point in space.

3. How is the vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole calculated?

The vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole can be calculated using the formula A = (μ0/4π) * (m x r)/r^3, where A is the vector potential, μ0 is the permeability of free space, m is the magnetic moment of the dipole, and r is the distance from the dipole to the point at which the field is being measured.

4. What is the significance of the vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole?

The vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole is significant because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of magnetic fields in various systems. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of motors and generators.

5. How does the vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole change with time?

The vector potential of a rotating magnetic dipole changes with time as the dipole rotates. This change can be represented by a time-varying function, which is related to the frequency of rotation and the magnetic moment of the dipole. As the dipole rotates faster, the vector potential also changes more rapidly.