1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Potential of a Rotating Mangetic Dipole

1. Dec 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rotating magnetic dipole is built by two oscillating magnetic dipole moments, one along the y-axis and one along the x-axis. Find the vector potential at a point: (0, 0, ##z_0##) along the z-axis. Then find the magnetic field at ##z_0## . As the magnetic field is a function of time, determine the induced Electric field from Faraday's laws. The magnetic dipole moment is given as a function of time as (##m_0## is a constant)
    ## \vec m ## = ##m_0 [cos(\omega t) \hat x + sin(\omega t) \hat y]##

2. Relevant equations

##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r) = \frac {\mu_0} {4 \pi} \frac 1 {r^3} \vec m \times \vec r##

##\vec B = \vec \nabla \times \vec A##

Induced electric field, Faraday's law:

##\vec E = \frac 1 {4 \pi}## ## \int ## ##[({\frac {\partial \vec B} {\partial t}} {\times \mathcal {\hat r}})## ##\frac 1 {\mathcal {r^2}}]##

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I am given the magnetic dipole moment, I attempted to find the vector potential by taking the cross product of ##\vec m## with ##\vec r##. I took ##\vec r## to be: ##{<x \hat x, y \hat y, z \hat z>}## which
    After taking the cross product I got:

##\vec m \times \vec r = m_0 z sin(\omega t) \hat x - m_0 z cos(\omega t) \hat y + (m_0 cos(\omega t) y - m_0 sin(\omega t) x) \hat z##

Since I'm taking the potential at the point (0, 0, ##z_0##) I think I put that into the cross product which would mean my vector potential would be equal to:

##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r) = (\frac { \mu_0 m_0 z_0} {4 \pi r^3})(sin(\omega t) \hat x - cos(\omega t) \hat y)##

I'm not entirely sure that this is right but when I try to take the cross product of ##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r)## to find the magnetic field, I came up with:

##\vec \nabla \times \vec A_{dip} =(\frac { \mu_0 m_0 z_0} {4 \pi r^3}) (2cos(\omega t) \hat x + 2sin(\omega t) \hat y)##

which has no dependence on the z coordinate. I'm wondering if I maybe approached this problem wrong? Help would be much appreciated thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean. Isn't there a z0 in your expression? It looks like you have a 1/z02 dependence because of the r3 in the denominator.

4. Dec 9, 2017 #3
    Okay that seems to be what I was missing, I was not inputting ##z_0## back into my definition for ##\vec r##. By putting that into the equation I got:

##\vec A_{dip} (\vec r) = (\frac { \mu_0 m_0 } {4 \pi z_0^2})(sin(\omega t) \hat x - cos(\omega t) \hat y)##

and

##\vec B = \vec \nabla \times \vec A##

##\vec B = (\frac { \mu_0 m_0 } {2 \pi z_0^3})(cos(\omega t) \hat x + sin(\omega t) \hat y)##

I believe this makes more sense.

To find the induced Electric field I have to take the time derivative of the magnetic field and cross it with ##\vec R## (the separation vector) I use a capitol R to distinguish it from the other r vectors used above.

##\vec E = \frac 1 {4 \pi}## ## \int ## ##[({\frac {\partial \vec B} {\partial t}} {\times \mathcal {\vec R}})## ##\frac 1 {\mathcal {r^2}}]##

##\vec R = \vec r - \vec r'##

##\vec R = < (x-x') \hat x, (y-y') \hat y, (z-z') \hat z > ##

I'm fairly sure that (x, y, z) is equal to (0, 0, ##z_0##) the field point, which makes (x', y', z') the source point?

5. Dec 10, 2017 #4

Delta²

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can't we simply use the equation ##E=-\nabla V-\frac{\partial A}{\partial t}## for this problem V seems to be zero or spatially constant since there are no free charge densities.

6. Dec 10, 2017 #5

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That should work.

7. Dec 10, 2017 #6
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted