Calculating e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force

In summary, the formula for converting foot pounds of force to Newton meters is: ##1\ J=0.7375ft\cdot lbs##.
markteller
I have seen the on-line calculators, but would like to see how the formula works in full detail. I have seen the kilograms / meters / second example already.

The second part of the question is, what is the actual formula for converting foot pounds of force to Newton meters? Again, the actual details.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
markteller said:
I have seen the on-line calculators, but would like to see how the formula works in full detail. I have seen the kilograms / meters / second example already.

The second part of the question is, what is the actual formula for converting foot pounds of force to Newton meters? Again, the actual details.

Thanks...

What sort of details are you looking for? For the first part, if you just want to calculate the rest energy, then you plug in ##m## and ##c## and get a number. Deriving the formula requires a bit more effort and can be found easily online. If you choose to meters, kilograms, seconds, then you get the energy in Joules. If you want it in ft*lbs then you use the conversion factor. According to the all powerful google, it is ##1\ J=0.7375ft\cdot lbs##.

If you wanted to, you could multiply the individual conversion factors to get there. That is, the conversion meters to feet and Newtons to lbs (of force) and get the same number.

Is this what you are asking about or did I misunderstand your question.

Thanks!

I am looking to convert 1 kilogram of mass into foot-pounds using e=mc^2 and without any unnecessary conversions. I want to see how the final number is arrived at.

I then want to see how foot-pounds are converted back to Newton meters, which are more typical for e=mc^2. Again, I know there are online calculators, but they don't educate the mind :)

In the spirit of teaching a man how to fish versus simply giving him a fish, it looks like you might benefit from a tutorial on "how to convert units". :smile: Here's the first one I found with a Google search on that phrase:

http://oakroadsystems.com/math/convert.htm [Broken]

Then try to do the conversion yourself, show us the details and the result, and we can give you hints for correcting it if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to address your question about calculating e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force. First, I would like to clarify that e=mc^2 is a fundamental equation in physics that relates energy (e) to mass (m) and the speed of light (c). It is a special case of the more general equation E=mc^2, where E represents total energy, including both kinetic and potential energy.

To calculate e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force, we need to convert all the units to a consistent system. In this case, we can use the metric system, which is commonly used in scientific calculations. The conversion factor for foot-pounds to Newton meters is 1 foot-pound = 1.35582 Newton meters.

To convert the mass unit from pounds to kilograms, we can use the conversion factor of 1 pound = 0.453592 kilograms. So, if we have a mass of 1 pound, it would be equivalent to 0.453592 kilograms.

Now, we need to convert the distance unit from feet to meters. The conversion factor for feet to meters is 1 foot = 0.3048 meters. So, if we have a distance of 1 foot, it would be equivalent to 0.3048 meters.

Next, we need to convert the time unit from seconds to seconds squared. The conversion factor for seconds to seconds squared is 1 second = 1 second squared. This is because in the equation e=mc^2, time is already squared.

Now, we can plug in these values into the equation e=mc^2. It would look like this:

e = (0.453592 kg) x (0.3048 m/s)^2 x (3x10^8 m/s)^2

Simplifying this, we get:

e = 0.453592 kg x 0.09290304 m^2/s^2 x 9x10^16 m^2/s^2

e = 4.086x10^16 kg x m^2/s^2

Since the unit of energy is Joules (J), we can convert the unit of e to Joules by using the conversion factor of 1 kg x m^2/s^2 = 1 Joule. Therefore, our final result is:

e = 4.086x10^16 Joules.

What is the formula for calculating e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force?

The formula for calculating e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force is: Energy (in foot-pounds) = Mass (in pounds) x (Speed of Light)^2.

How is foot-pounds of force related to the speed of light?

The speed of light (c) is a constant value that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. In order to convert foot-pounds of force into energy, we must use the speed of light (c) in the formula e=mc^2. This shows the relationship between foot-pounds of force and the speed of light.

What is the significance of calculating e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force?

Calculating e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force can help us understand the amount of energy that can be generated from a given mass. This formula is also important in understanding the relationship between matter and energy, and how they can be converted into each other.

Can e=mc^2 be used for any type of mass and energy measurement?

Yes, the formula e=mc^2 can be used for any type of mass and energy measurement, as long as the units are consistent. In this case, we are using foot-pounds for energy and pounds for mass, but other units can be used as long as they are converted properly.

How accurate is the calculation of e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force?

The calculation of e=mc^2 using foot-pounds of force is accurate to the extent that the values used for mass and speed of light are accurate. However, it is important to keep in mind any limitations or errors in the measurement of these values, which can affect the accuracy of the overall calculation.