Why am I off by a factor of 1000 in my fission energy calculation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
songoku
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
395
Homework Statement
Calculate the amount of energy, in joules, generated from 2 kg of uranium fuel, if the U-235 represents 0.7% of the metal and every fission reaction produces 200 MeV.
Relevant Equations
E = mc^2
Energy = ##\frac{2000}{235}## x 6.02 x 1023 x 0.7% x 200 x 1 x 106 x 1.6 x 10-19 = 1.15 x 1012 J

But the answer is 1.15 x 109 J

I am off by a factor of 1000. Where is my mistake?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
SI units for mass is kg not g
Sorry I don't understand the hint.

Wouldn't it be the same if I write: ##\frac{2}{0.235}## instead of ##\frac{2000}{235}##?
 
And I don't understand your solution, it is just a bunch of numbers.

Anyway, do it in steps. First, how many U-235 atoms are there per kg?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: songoku
malawi_glenn said:
And I don't understand your solution, it is just a bunch of numbers.

Anyway, do it in steps. First, how many U-235 atoms are there per kg?
Let me redo

1) No. of atoms of U-235 in 2 kg of uranium fuel = ##\frac{2000}{235}## x 6.02 x 1023 x 0.7% = 3.586 x 1022 atoms

2) Amount of energy released = 200 MeV x No. of atoms = 7.127 x 1024 MeV

3) Convert MeV to Joule = 7.127 x 1024 x 1 x 106 x 1.6 x 10-19 = 1.15 x 1012 J

Thanks
 
And 6.02 x 1023 is avogadros number, the number of entities in one mol.
U-235 is approx 235g / mol.

Anyway, the answer you quoted is most likely wrong.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: songoku